1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 more gone

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scooled101, Jan 16, 2009.

1. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

so i lost 2 good acounts because of the case of the good neighbors plowing for free talk about being pi$$ed off. everybody wants the job done fr free here where I live its getting old. anybody else have these problems

2. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

freebies

Gotta love when that happens.

If you don't have people on contracts with a set duration and stated termination procedures (at least 30 days written notice), as well as exclusive plowing rights then you better start. I try to keep mine under 1 page long with stated rates, etc. I'm going to write our policies on our website with the link if people want info on trigger depth, availability, holiday hours, other service criteria, and general information.

When you have a signed contract with all of the above, remind the unloyal customer about the termination policy and that you will be billing them everytime you go to the site, even if the neighbour has already done it for free.

3. Thats everywhere scooled. People are getting cheaper and cheaper as the economy gets tighter and tighter. Gr8WhiteNorth is right tho, a good contract can help limit that from happening.

4. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

i thnk for sure next year i ill do contracts and with the ret i pick up this season I cannot make money like this. I didnt feel it was on a need to do basis because we only have about 10k people in our town but i guess i need to one of the ones i lost i was charging 50-70 depening what it looked like when i got there an it was aroun da 3-400 foot lane i am cheap as he!!

5. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I would not worry too much on those accounts, if you had a contract you would have lost them to the good neighbor next season anyways, or they would start complaining and bitching at you because they figure that they could have gotten the service for free if they didn't sign a contract with you.
    Do like me I dump the complainers and winers every season usually the new curtomers 2-5 contracts as season. I weed them off my list!

6. WhiteOut2500

WhiteOut2500 Junior Member

I just got a letter with my invoice saying the homeowner's neighbor can do their driveway cheaper, so they are going to go with them unless I am willing to match their price.

7. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

Let them people go and let the neighbors do their work for free. Cheap asses. The good thing is, It snows in everyones driveway so dont even sweat it, pick up some more accts and call it good.

8. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

thanks for the responses fellas the wife gets tired of dealing with me getting stressed, its hard this time of year so when an account goes sour it easy to take it a little ruff

9. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Agree let them go, I charge one set price on single, double, triple driveways and more if they are longer.Some new customer tell me their neighbors getting at a cheaper rate I tell them to go with them. I stick to my guns and have 90 houses. If you charge one cheaper than the others, neighbors talk, you can get yourself in trouble with the other if you match the lower price and the others find out. Thats what happen around here to one snowplow guy he was not consistant with his pricing he lost alot of customer and some to me.

10. I'd send them a reply and wish them luck with their new plow driver. Oh and remind them that their actions are part of the reason the economy is in such a $h1ter lately. Tell them to give themselves a pat on the back...