1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 link or 4 line snow chains for my skid steer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Andrew Hardscape, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape Junior Member

I will be doing the snow plowing of a few miles of private roads. The roads are on a small mountain so much of them are hilly. 50% are paved. The other 50% are dirt / gravel roads.

I will be putting one set of chains on the skid steer.

I did a quick search on here and I see where folks have previously mentioned that they have used the 4 link snow chains and haven't had any problems.

Before I order chains I just wanted to get some more opinions. At first I was going to get the 2 link chains, but now I'm thinking that may be overkill.

What do you guys perfer?
  2. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

Having a chain at every 2 links ensures there is more chain to grip the road and less 'lost' in the tread of the tire (depends of tire style & condition, of course). Usually means a smoother (think less clunky) ride.

I'd suggest staying with the regular HD chain. Using the v-bar or similar can chew up a paved road. Some others may complain, but I've never had a regular chain dig into a paved road. Made a slight mark, but the blade scraping concrete/asphalt/dirt shoulder did much more marking and digging...

You didn't ask... for prices I found tirechains.com , from PA, to be one of the better ones and shipping was reasonable.
  3. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

2 link is the only way to go, especially if you enjoy keeping your teeth.

I make all my chains, and if I could go every link for a skid steer you bet your ass I would. The ride difference is night and day.

I concur on the www.tirechains.com link, they made a few sets for my Gravely's a few years back and were half the price of most other distributors.