1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Inch triggers suck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowpower, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Who ever thought this deal up. Most of my commercials and all of my resis are near zero tolorance in that we can get away pushing them at 1 to 1.5 but a few are at a 2 inch trigger and you just cant properly manage a property trying to salt away less than 2 inches.

From now on I wont accept a 2 inch trigger unless they want to pay 300 a ton for salt.
  2. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

I put all my accounts on a 1.5" trigger.
  3. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I got all my triggers taken out..My feeling is that most commercial accounts make you add them as "additional insured" and to me that means I own the lot as far as liability therfore, I plow and salt when I feel it needs it. My other reason for them is that the stores dont take care of the sidewalks and when I get there after 3 1' storms for the big one, I have to chip all of the build up off. Works for me may not for you
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

That's a good idea
    "if you want to be named insured, then I control when it's plowed/shoveled/salted"
    If you want to control it, it stays on your insurance.

That's a good argument.
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It doesn't matter, because you can STILL be named in a lawsuit. As a matter of fact, you can be named right along side of the "insured". The only way to go is zero tolerance. In this day and age of lawsuits, mockery tv court shows encouraging everyone to go to court, and the accompanying sue happy lawyer commercials that play 12 times an hour during these tv court shows, the days of the 2" triggers and all the liability they carry are over. It is foolish to have ANY trigger....either it is clean and safe, or it is not. And the "We'll call ya" thing is TOTally out of the question. I just posted on another thread about my best friend who ws just served with suit for a $230,000 slip and fall that happened back in '05.
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

well of course (you can still be sued)
    Not only does it then put the onus back on the property owner/manager, but the actions and decisions that go back a ways (you keep it on your insurance, you decide when we plow, etc) help keep the liability off you. And the insurance company will be much happier that they aren't a named insured, etc, they'll work much harder to defend.
    It's all about actions and a paper trail.
  7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I have a commercial thats 2 inch trigger and they will call for salt. We got 1.5" yesterday.

They called at 9:45. I finally listened to the message at 11 am, and called them telling them sorry. You're last on my list, and Ill be there in three hours. I told them if they want me to make the call they will be the very first stop opn my list. You make it? You're gonna get done whenever.....Lucky for them they were smart enough to authorize a push at less that 2" or Id of dusted it wih salt and split. Accomplishing nothing.

I took the job because I needed it. Now I dont, and they can wait. Next year they sign MY contract or theres no sense in even bidding it.
  8. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

If I get sued on this one one look at the contract they provided will make the judge laugh his ass off and he will tell me I'm fine and no longer needed at these proceedings.
  9. packey

packey Member

Hey what do you do about apartment and condo set ups where you have to clear the drive lanes and where the cars park. How do you inforce a zero tolerance on that type of parking lot. It takes a 24 hour notice on both of my places to get these people to move vehicles. Again this is my first year commercialy and I am doing my best to give the best service I can and take care of my self liability wise as well. Of course this is why I use more ice melt than most of the guys in our area .
  10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Nice post. I never thought to use that argument before but I certainly will now. :salute:
  11. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Plow drive lanes then return during normal business hours to clear spaces that are free, and I mean FREE. Not one space here one space there. You dont have to have all the cars moved as part of the arrangment do you?

I have two Hotels that are like that but obviously its just to clear a little more space where cars have vacated. But theres got to be at least three free spaces in a row before I'll clear it.