1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2" Front Lift or Timbrens?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NoFearDeere, Nov 23, 2006.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, need some advice. I want to beef up the front end of my F-250 PSD. I was thinking of installing a 2 inch front lift which includes the new shocks, springs, etc., and cost is right around $450.00. That would make the truck about level because it is slightly lower in the front compared to the rear. I also thought about timbrens.....What do you all think would be better? Has anyone done the front lift? I know others have Timbrens on the Super Duties. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do you know the spring rates of the springs in the kit?

Some lift kit springs are longer than the stock ones so you get some lift BUT they are usually a lot softer than stock...

Do some home work and get the correct springs for your application.

3. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Does the rear sit higher with a load? If your running empty add ballast for traction or add a sander so you can salt. Truck probably won't be high anymore. I also agree watch ratings, lift doesn't equate to better.

4. NoFearDeere

No, not with load. I usually have about 1000 lb.'s in the bed in de-icer. That doesnt include the spreader on the back.

5. Brannick's Snow

Brannick's Snow Member
    from ohio

We used the bds 2" kit it uses the stock springs it just raises it 2" $ 270.00 with all 4 shocks. the stock springs a fine just need the lift!

6. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

watch out for lifting front end, plows push bar angle can become two steep and cause blade to trip too much, this happened to me with my Suburban, and all I did was put 3/4 leaf springs in front (only 1" or so of lift) and my Boss blade trips even when full of snow, or even hitting small 1-2" ridges causes it to trip (really big PITA!!)
    JMO

Ryan

7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I put a 2" spring lift that was rated at 600 or 800lbs, cant remember now.

evened out the rake on the truck, had to adjust the western plow as it has 4 settings according to the height on the truck, there was also a stacking bar piece the plow came with that I put on that I did not need before.

I plowed one year without the lift, and one year with. Did not notice any real difference.
    I only did it to level out the stock rake the truck had.

without the lift my truck would squat about 1/2" or so.

I would get it instead of the timbrens, but thats a whole other debate.

8. Fusion Fab

Fusion Fab Junior Member

Ive got timbrens installed front and rear of my f-450 welding truck, truck grosses 13,400 w/o plow, V- box, or skid steer.When truck is fully loaded for snow days truck dosent squat a bit i acually think timbrens made it ride smoother also. When i lift the boss 9' 2 v blade it drops the front bout 1/2 inch and springs back up to level. They have 40,000 miles on them and holding up well.:cool:

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Assuming that llfting your front end will not screw up your plow attack angle, I would definitely go with the lift and not the Timbrens. I ran timbrens on my truck for a couple of years before I did a front end lift. I don't like how the timbrens shock load from the frame to the axle. Big potholes and bumps, you could feel the jarring shock go through the truck. I'd say keep the suspension working like it is supposed to. What year is your F250. If it is a Superduty with leaf springs and you don't have the "X" spring code on your door sticker, you could just get new springs that way.

10. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

lifting front end

I put on the tuff country 2.5" leveling kit on my superduty and then added new rear springs after a wreak so then I put on another 2" leaf spring on the front and my 8' meyers dose not move the truck at all when I lift the plow. And my plow angle of attack is fine. My local plow retailer told me that my plow pin points should not be anymore then 11" from the ground or your plow edges will be off the ground at full angle. Steve

'

11. NoFearDeere

Its a 2004 F-250 6.0 Powerstroke....

12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

You want to get a sh*t ton of info, do a search on this site for "Timbrens", I started a thread here a year or so ago with the same question, had a ton of answers. I'll try and find the thread and post a link for ya, best of my reelection was the Timbrens.

13. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

We also put a 2 inch BDS kit on my dads 05 with a Western MVP the truck carries the weight fine...

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  15. incredilion1

incredilion1 Junior Member
    from id

Springs

I installed a set of F-550 springs in the front of my '06 F-250. The springs that come in this truck (stock) are rated at 5200 pounds, and the 550 springs are rated at 7,000 pounds. They are the same height, everything about them is identical except they carry more weight.
    So, when you do this, you don't have to change shocks, do a realignment, redo headlamp aim, and to top it off the truck rides darn near identical to what it did stock. I carry a Blizzard 810 and it carries it very well.
    The best part:
    The springs cost as a pair less than $80.00.
    I did Timbrens first, didn;t like them. Truck rode on them way too much. Then I did a Tough-Country 2.5 inch levelling kit. Truck rode bad.
    Timbrens:$150.00
    Levelling Kit:$450.00 w/ shocks
    Springs:$80.00
    Hope it helps......

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  16. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

incredilion1, great info, stupid question, do you have part numbers for the 550 spring kit and can you tell me what was involved with the swap out. I am interested in doing this to my 07 350. Roughly how long did it take and were any special tools needed.

Thank You

17. zippy1

zippy1 Junior Member

Incredilion, where did you get a set of springs for $80? I would like to do the same upgrade but I can't see a dealer selling a set for under $300-$400. Let me know because I am very interested.:waving:

18. NoFearDeere

I'm also interested in the F-550 springs Incredilion; let us know, sounds like that might be the best idea yet!wesport

19. zippy1

zippy1 Junior Member

I meant leaf springs not the coil springs. I read you post again and realized you were talking about coils.

20. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Where did you get the springs from? Also was the springs off a 2005 or 2006 and was it a 4x4? To me looks like the F550 only uses coil springs on 2x4 and leafs on 4x4 (2005/2006)

Just installed Timbrens last night, not sure if I like them. Does help keep the front end of the truck up with the 810 on, but I can feel every pot hole now :(

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006