1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 feet of snow headed north

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94gt331, Feb 7, 2013.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Good luck to you guys upper new york through new england area. Hopefully you guys can be safe this weekend and make lots of cash. Here in central pa we are only going to see a few inches of that storm. I only ever plowed through 1 20+ inch storm in my 7 years of plowing, that's a experience for sure. Be safe!

2. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Blizzard

I'm all ready to go , lubed and topped off on all my fluids ! Two feet can be tough if it falls real fast 1"/Hr. + . Bring it on Lord , I have bills to pay . Work smart not hard !

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

if i was any sort of close i'd roadtrip to help.

4. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

Are you guys going to be out working during the storm or waiting till it starts to taper off to start plowing?

5. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I have commercial accounts that are open 24/7 so I have to plow with the storm. I think waiting till it's over is a bad idea anyway. I'd rather make a few trips and keep my time on each lot down then take double to triple the time on each lot.

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Some we will hit throughout storm ,some we will wait.probably shut down the state.Commercials will close early.Weekend timing is good for us.No presure to hurry to open up,this is a major out of the ordinary event.Not going to send sidewalk crews out in blizzard conditions,wait for things to calm down a bit

7. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

Yea I agree, I hate having to be on the roads in blizzard conditions I only have one commercial account I'm thinking I will wait to do the rest of my residentials.

8. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

The 2010 post Christmas blizzard taught me a hard lesson...I plowed with it, doing sidewalks a couple times, then I slacked on the walks for a couple hours. The wind picked up and I had 5 feet of drifts, no BS. I will definately be keeping up with it this time.

9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

You guys are nuts to wait till the end, then try to push 20+ inches. We will be out plowing with the storm. Even the residentials will be plowed 2-4 times. It will take a very long time if you wait till after the storm, plus you'll probably get stuck. I have churches that I've had to wait till the end of big storm because of 2" per hour rates. It was tough doing them afterwards. Good luck everyone.

10. ygim

ygim Member

No way you can wait till the end of the storm you have to keep on them otherwise your asking for trouble. Good luck everyone have fun and be safe.

11. leigh

from CT

My problem is that i have 27 accounts.If i started plowing at 2"by the time we finished them once, the storm will be over.Plowed the big storms 2 years ago and discovered it was six of one ,half a dozen of another time-wise. No problem pushing it,supposed to be light and dry. I barely feel the snow in the "mighty" 4500 and 10' fisher :salute:mc

12. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

I guess I will keep an eye out maybe consider doing each driveway at least twice. I definitely do not want to get stuck while trying to push almost 2 feet of snow didn't really think about that. Although I think my F350 can handle it especially considering i just got new shoes for it.

13. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

You're preaching to the choir here guys . I've been plowing with storms since 1978 ! I've got some long country drives that will drift in , in an hour with a big wind . I plow till I can't see through my windshield because the defroster can't keep up . Then it's time to go home and get some zzzs . Then , back into the fray !

14. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

ussmileyflagThe thing about this storm I worry about for some of you guys are going to be the 50 mile wind gusts there talking about. Honestly some areas are gonna be impossible to plow with a truck when the drifting stops. I will pray for some of you guys to be safe out there.
    2010 we got a 26inch snow took me 3 days to clean up and then we got another 8 inches imediately 12hrs lator we had 40 mile wind storm and we had major drifting, that was the hardest week I have ever experienced in my life. It was emotional mentally and psyhically exhausting. In a way I'm glad I experienced that. That was a wake up call for me, I realized that the snow removal buisiness is unpredictable and you shouldn't take on too much work if you can't handle events like this and also if your doing some big commercial locations you should allways try to have a back up loader or backhoe on call for events like this. I still love doing snow removal but you gotta have a good handle on things. GOOD LUCK AGAIN AND STAY SAFE AND MAKE MONBEY!!ussmileyflag

15. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Good luck to guys getting the big hit. They just down graded WNY to 8-10 inches so no big deal here.

16. leigh

from CT

I'd take that 8-10 any day! I'm still hoping we get less than predicted.My wife's looking at me like I'm crazy,says I'm in denial as I disagree with every forecast I look at! Started with 5-10,we'll get the 5,then 10-20 we'll get 10 and on and on!

17. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

I plan on staying right with the storm not letting a 24" accumulation as I plow each driveway with 6" at a time. The toughest part to stay up with is hurricane force winds of 50 to 70 mph creating snow drifts that may add up faster than expected possibly 36". Visibility will be less than 50 ft yet I wonder of my wipers can keep up clearing the windshield hope the heat from my defroster helps. It's going to hit us on Friday afternoon into the night and right thru into Saturday morning which can be the best time to plow, less drivers on the road. I remember the blizzard of 78 that crippled the state right down to city and state plows to only keep main roads clear the best they could for emergency vehicles. Cars and trucks were buried with another 16 inches uf snow on top of every vehicles roof. The only sound of a motor on the road were snow mobiles. They were the only key transportation to assist in emergencies. I will be taking pictures as I hang in there plowing. I don't dare post any extra plow work on Craigslist which will be insane just being able to keep my customers cleared. To all plowers out there may God speed, be safe and if family are in need of you or your help may your truck get you there.

18. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Just saw Im in the 30+" zone , looks like Im chaining up . First time since the spring blizzard in 96 or 97.

19. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Good luck and be safe out there guys! I'm up to 72 driveways, 2 smaller parking lots, and 1 private road now with only 2 trucks. I'm going to need all the luck I can get...

20. ygim

ygim Member

Keep us posted on how you make out.