1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2-door tahoe plow info

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by matt-max, Jul 14, 2003.

1. matt-max

matt-max Member

just bought a 99 tahoe diesel 2-door for tight area plowing

any recommendations on tires, plows, suspension modifications, etc? truck has 32" (265) michelin a/t's on it now

the rest of my trucks are one ton gmc's with western 8' pro plows and pro wings, so a western makes sense for interchangeability...

thanks
    matt

2. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

I PLOW WITH A GAS 96 TAHOE. HAVE FISHER 7'5. I PUT NEW BILSTIEN SHOCKS ON IN 99 AND DID TIMBRENS THIS PAST WINTER WHAT A DIFFERENCE THEY MAKE. TRUCK PLOWS STRONG DUE TO THE EXTRA WEIGHT AND THE FOUR DOORS. I ALSO PUT ON AUXILLARY BACK UP LIGHTS WHICH HELPS DURING STORMS WITH THE TINTED WINDOWS IT IS HARD TO SEE OUT. ALSO PUT ON NERF BARS ON THE SIDE WHICH PREVENT THE DOORS FROM BEING CRUSHED IN WHEN THE BLADE IS ANGLED. LAST I PUT IN AN OPTI DEEP CELL YELLOW TOP BATTERY WHICH SEEMS TO HELP WITH THE ELECTRICS. TIRES ARE NEW MASTER CRAFT DEEP TREAD AND I HAVE PLOWED IN 2 WHHEL DRIVE WITH THESE NEW TIRES THEY EAT INTO SNOW. HOPE THIS HELPS

3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Does anyone know if theres a plow made for a 2001 tahoe?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your tires should do OK,if they are in good shape.For the best traction,go with a dedicated snow tire,like a Cooper M&S.See pic below.

A Western Pro might be a little too heavy on that truck,as it's pretty nose heavy to begin with.A Snoway might be a better option,and is excellent for backdragging with the Downpressure system.

cooper ms.jpg

5. MOE

MOE PlowSite.com Veteran

I have been plowing with a 96 tahoe for 4 years now. Got a 7'6 western standard. It does a great job, the only thing that bothers me is the front hangs too low. I bent 3 a frames by pushing too far over curbs. I jacked the torsion bars and put in Timbrens, they helped but I still wish the plow hung a little higher. I remember seeing that a plow is not recommended on the 2 door only on the 4 door. Mabey that changed in the later models. Check the western web site.

Moe

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

MOE,

3 bent A-frames!!??!! Something is definitely not right. Remember, do not plow at higher speed than 10 MPH, and do not ram into frozen piles of snow. How high is the curb?

To help the blade ride over the curb without causing damage, you should consider getting an urethane edge. I have heard many people comments on how great they work when plowing over the curb. They said that they would raise the plow some, and the u-edge will ride right over the curb.

Do some search on urethane edge. This might be your solution, but you may need to change your plowing habit too.

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Philly, 760LT, 700LT and 680LT Blizzard will all go on the 2001.

Lots of 2door Tahoes plowing around here. Treat it like a short bed pickup for most applications but better weight transfer. Jerre

8. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I didnt know they still made the 2 door Tahoe through 99 I thought the production on those stopped in 96 or something around the same time as the Bronco. I dont know I guess Im wrong?
    Eric

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I had a new 94 2 door Yukon with snow plow prep
    (VYU) option.
    I ran a 7-6 Western hard mount plow. Nice truck
    and turned on a dime! No problems except for
    fogging on the rear side windows. Ran it 3 HARD
    NY winters. But alas needed a pickup again!
    Traded it for a new 97 Chevy xcab........geo

NOTE: After 97? (not sure) the 2 doors were
    still made for the mexico market only for a couple
    of years. During that time the 2 doors were being
    assembled only in mexico. The burbs etc. were also
    being assembled there and Janesville, Wis.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2003
  10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I think your truck should plow just fine. A western would be a great choice though i think the unimount frame might hang to low. But a ultramount would be a perfect chioce. Good luck!:)

11. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I plow with a full size 93 Blazer Sport, which is basically the same thing I believe. Great plow truck. I put timbrens on the front & back and it handles a Meyer C-8 with wings well. Just go through brakes faster than normal so far.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Ultramounts seems to hang even lower that the older Uni-mounts.They also tend to come off sometimes.I'd prefer a Uni-mount.

13. Jerre Heyer

Chris, Didn't want to burst his bubble on the ultra mounts. They get way down there on some trucks. The A frame is low enough that the angle iron wears down on the mount end.

One thing on the Cheve's Uni or Ultra mount is the lack of height you can get on the mount even with cranking up the torsion bars.

The 88-98's were much better than the newer ones and the Z-71 package is the best as far as stock carry height without modification.

Jerre

14. matt-max

matt-max Member

thank you all for the replies and information and please keep them coming

we currently run western plows and flink spreaders.

2 8' ultra mounts w/pro-wings on 96 & 98 k3500 srw's

2 8' uni-mounts w/pro-wings on 96 k2500hd and 01 k3500 chassis cab

1 9' uni-mount w/pro-wings on 97 c3500hd chassis cab

we also use a daniels pull plow (rear plow) on the 98.

i have had no problems worth mentioning with the westerns including the ultra mounts. they definitely plow better on uneven surfaces and slanted roadways than the uni-mounts thanks to theire pivoting design. and i can actually put one on and off in very short time without a crow bar, floor jack or another set or two of hands, unlike the uni-mounts.

i bought the tahoe for tight condo cul de sacs and drives and other spots that the bigger trucks have some trouble with.

i also bought it cause i think its cool and comfy and this one has the diesel which means hd trans, seering, coolers, torque, etc.

turns out western will not put a plow on this truck with the diesel. they will with the 350 gas.

only company that i can find to do it so far is sno-way. i like their downforce and the poly blade and the price is okay but i can't run wings because of the way they are designed.

and as you all no doubt already know, wings save huge amounts of time.

i am going to wigh the front and rear of the truck as well as the whole truck next opportunity to see what the axle loads are now. front is rated for 3925 and the rear for 3750 with a total of 6450#.

i am tempted to put a western on it, maybe a 7.5' non-pro-plow if they still make it, and wings. but i plan to keep the truck for a long time and do not want to tear it up. i am installing timbrens and hd bilsteins.

any more ideas?

thanks again
    matt

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is no reason you cannot mount wings to a Snoway.All you need to do is make a piece of angle to back up the wings mounting under the lexan.I have done them before,no problems.Try a search,as it has been discussed before.I'd take pics,but someone just stole my digital camera.

The Snoway is also nice with the downpressure.It will back drag nice,and you can also use the downpressure for scraping up hardpack.

If you really want a Western,then find a dealer that will install it,or buy it cash and carry,and do it yourself (or take it to someone who will).

16. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Jerre,How much does the 760LT set up cost?

17. Jerre Heyer

Matt,

Sorry to take so long on the reply. I was celebrating X-mas in July. Had an open house the last two day's. We sell the 700 and 760LT installed for $3000+tax in PA. Don't forget to bring you clubs ( public course is next door ) or you fishing pole if you road trip. Get ahold of White=Green as Steve wants to bring his boat up for some fishing on the lake. Me thinks he wants to tip a few:drinkup: too..

Santa was nice to me and I got a pair of new Blizzard 680LT plows in a crate Thursday. These baby's are sweet. I'll post some picts hopefully monday as I found my cord for the digital camera after I finished moving......Chris yours is working great thanks. Weigh in about 320# and are very fast acting. Cant wait to hook one up to my F350 for a little work out on the truck. I sure hope the Ford holds up as the plow looks like it will.

Hope this helps. Jerre

18. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Jerre I know this is a little off topic but what is the price for a replacement cutting edge on a 86/11? These are things I figure I should ask before making a decision on what plow to mount on the 550 ;) . Thanks, JD.

19. Jerre Heyer

Off the top of my head I'd say in the $250 range but I'll be in the shop monday and get the pricing. Some people here thought the price to re do the 810 was high compared to a straight blade but it's not much more than a 10' edge and the productivity more than made up for the cost. If you get a chance give me a call monday at the shop. Jerre

20. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks Jerre :waving: