1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 cycle Snow Throwers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Dec 29, 2002.

from NJ

I saw in another thread that some guys were sick of 2 cycle issues ???? What issues ???
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

They can be tempermental. The need to carry two gas cans, one for mix and one for the spreader. In my case I dont have gas spreaders any more, but now at least the blower gas can go in the truck.
    They are loud, and have no low end torque. Once you have had a honda single stage, the two stroke units seem about 30 yrs out of date.
    Now in all fairness I have never used a TORO, but the JD and two Husky units I owned were terrible. Hard to start at times as well. Broke every time I used them, and the simplicity is just a cousin to that. They all use the Techemsuh 2 stroke 6 hp engine.
  3. MLB

MLB Senior Member

The sound

is the main thing to me. They seem to blow out the muffler packing eventually and end up louder than H*LL!
    I lost my earplugs one night and though I was going to go deaf from the noise from that Toro.
    I also grew up with small Honda dirt bikes (CT70,XR75) and grew to love the 4 stroke "thump" vs the "ring ding" of the two stroke bikes. Not to mention the fact that we'd run those thing wide open from morning till dark (lots of kids) and they NEVER quit! Oil changes once a year, whether it needed it or not :)
    That said, I know that the power of a two stroke, simpler design, and the lighter weight, were the reasons they dominate power tool use. But there has been a revolution in 4 stroke motors and there isn't the big weight penalty anymore.
    Throw in the fact that they are MUCH friendlier to our envirornment (air pollution) and I'll be getting a Honda 621 sometime this winter. :drinkup:
  4. plowking35

from SE CT

MLB, you will actually have to get the honda 520. Looks about the same, but a tad smaller.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i have a honda 520 and its the best blower for the money, by far. i will be buying another one very soon.
  6. plowking35

from SE CT

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Another problem with 2 strokes is storage. You have to run the tank dry before you store it for the season, or you get a carburator full of mud when you come back.

That being said, I have a Toro 2 stroke I wouldn't part with. I looked at the specs on Dino's Honda, it weighs 40 pounds more than my unit. Not something I want to throw on and off the truck all night.
  8. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Toro 5 hp - 71 lbs
    Honda 5 hp - 76 lbs

Why would I have to get the 520, Plowking35???
  9. plowking35

from SE CT

Honda doesnt make the 621 anymore, but they replaced it with the 520.
  10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

Just bought the Honda 520 and love it. Couldnt believe the low end power that this blower has. I was pushing it threw the snow as fast as i could push and that engine kept on chugging.

Even if the engine did start to slow down it still had the power needed to keep going, something no two-cycle would be able to do.
  11. MLB

MLB Senior Member

I thought

they were the same blower but with a 6 hp engine. Some distributors still list/show the 621 but the Honda site doesn't. :confused:
  12. plowking35

from SE CT

I would say that since one is a 21" wide auger and housing and the other is a 20" wide auger and housing, that no they are not the same unit. Last year was the first year for the 520, but I see 621's for sale used in our local bargain news.
    However for the money the 520 is a good deal. About 100.00 per hp.
  13. cbr954plower

cbr954plower Junior Member

Here I go again.... noone hate me...

I have no problems with a two stroke...... Stabil... run it for 5 minutes with a full tank and no storage problems at all...

As for the unit itself, 5 hp 22 inch path.... It has been through wet and heavy no problems, throws 20 feet in wet and heavy.......

Not heavy at all..... and yes once again it is a Simplicity..
  14. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Sure don't mean to sound like I think 2 strokes suk. The Toros we use handle anything we throw at them, including some 4' drifts we had last week (slow going for sure). I just love the 4's :)
  15. plowking35

from SE CT

I had a snapper that was wonderfull, 3 hp and 18" width, used to bring it up on roofs. Anyway the auger broke, was more for a new one than it was worth. That is when I bought the Huskies and JD, all three were junk.
    So I replaced them with the Honda's and have been happy. I dont doubt that there are good 2 strokes out there, but I have switched to the hondas, and they work great for me.
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

MLB, I don't have the model # handy on my Toro, it has an 18" cut, is 2 stroke, and weighs 36 pounds. I've also used it on roofs, it's real easy to carry up a ladder. It has rubber paddles and will throw the snow 20' easily, I don't know the horsepower rating.
  17. MLB

MLB Senior Member

I had a Snapper 3201 that was the "Consumer reports" choice of about 15 years ago. That little 3.5hp sucker had more balls than lots of bigger blowers. Met the same end, bent auger, $190 for the part!

That's probably the size you're talking Pelican, weighed about 35lbs.
    Nice to move around for sure. But I like the bigger bite of the 5 hp and I don't have any trouble with 75lbs out of the truck. Sure wouldn't want to carry them up ladders though :eek:
  18. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I have a lawnboy sr225 ( I think) any way its a 2 stage 5 hp techemsuh, and its a little loud but works like a SOB! After its warm when going from job to job it starts in 1 pull.
  19. Kevintree

Kevintree Junior Member

Bought Toro Commander last year but no snow on Long Island

Used Xmas worked OK on virgin snow but not so hot where there was water below snow (slush)

PS Dino - how does the Honda work w/ slush??
  20. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I bought a used Honda 621 snowblower two years ago.

Its the greatest investment I ever spent money on!!! Starts with one pull, throws snow like crazy:D

and it worked great during our Christmas snowstorm. By the time I got to do my own driveway it was really wet and heavy slush. It threw it well with only one small clog ( I was in a hurry)

I would buy three or four others if I could find them

Sure beats a stick plow!!!!