1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Burst lines? in 1 hour?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by johnslawn, Jan 4, 2010.

1. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

I had a line pop on me in customers drive, angle piston. Ran home and put on a new one, top off fluid. back on road in 15 Min.
    Maybe 1/2 hour later, other angle piston line does the same thing.

Cmon whats the chances of that? I try not to run my truck/plow hard. And I do preseason maintenance on plow and truck. Should I be concerned? Or is it just my luck?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well, if they were both of the same age I wouldn't say it's out of line depending on the age of the plow and whether it's stored indoors during the off season.

Same reason it's a wise idea to always replace them in pairs. If one is aged the other is too.

3. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Morning B. Yea i kinda figured it was like head lights. When one goes replace the other. Plow is only 2-3 years old,stored outside with a tarp. Just blew my mind. My old set up I used for 7 years and only changed the fluid.
    Guess I will replace the rest of the lines.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In your first post John you mentioned the first one blew while angling. So I'm assuming this is a straight blade correct?

5. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Yes while angling, straight 9 foot. rt3. What I thought was also strange, is they both blew in near excact spots. 1/2 inch from the fitting on the ram side.
    Just seems rather rare for two lines to go in one day. Near the same spot.

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That's really odd if they blew in the same spot. Do you have a rub going on that you might be overlooking?

7. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

no rub that I can see.

8. 04HDBoss

04HDBoss Junior Member

My plow blew 2 hoses in the 1st season i just plow a couple driveways.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's where they almost always rupture due to it's the most flexed location on the hose. Probably just a coincidence that you lost them both in one day.

10. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Ok guys, Thank you. I feel a better I guess. Off to garage to make up and replace the rest of the lines.

11. White Knight

White Knight Member

You should inspect the hoses for burning; older straight blades will try to find a ground through them, making them weak at the points B&B referred to. Make sure your new hoses are marked with an (AX) prior to the hose size. This is a better hose were electrical current is present.