1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 brand new blades broken!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ssprtman12, Jan 14, 2011.

1. ssprtman12

ssprtman12 Junior Member
    from MA

So this may be kind of long winded and hard to follow, but bare with me. . .

Before the season the company i work for bought two brand new blades to replace two stolen ones. A 7.5ft HD for a 1500 and a 8ft HD for a 350. After 2.5 storms of primarily easy plowing, the 8ft plow had a broken trip edge. The illets on the moldboard that hold the pins and trip edge on were cracked and the trip edge was falling off on the passenger side. We took it back to the dealership, they replaced the blade so we could finish the storm. Another 2 small storms later. . . same problem, and this time with what appears like a bent trip spring, as well as the trip edge falling off again with broken illets. Now keep in mind this blade only plows small commerical lots (gas stations, dunkin donuts) and has very minimal impacts at slow speeds. I have been plowing for years and have seen guys do way worse and hit things way harder with fisher blades without any issues, so why is this happening??

Has anyone else had a similar issue or have any idea what it may be? To my knowledge and background these blades should easily be able to handle the impacts and abuse we put them through without issue. Is it possible the dealership hooked it up at a strange angle which is causing it to hit and not trip or something??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated b/c i doubt fisher will warranty the second blade :dizzy:

2. ssprtman12

ssprtman12 Junior Member
    from MA

bump!

really?? no one has anything to say?? damn, i thought this would have gotten some attention

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Doubtful they installed it wrong- the a-frame should be parallel to the ground- that's about the only setting/adjustment. Heard from a few people Fisher's quality has really slipped the past few years.

I have had a problem with the angle of my MM1 from day one not scraping well and not wearing properly- local dealer has looked at it on several occasions over the years and found nothing wrong. Talked to a Fisher tech a few months ago about it here and after uploading the requested pictures the beginning of Dec I have heard nothing... Only broken weld I see on mine is the reportedly common A frame pivot and I am missing a wear block on the trip edge- not that it matters with the way it's wearing- it'll hit the springs before the cutting edge is down to 5 inches.
    Hate to say it- lifelong Fisher guy here, I am considering another brand for my next plow. If it's labor related in this economy there are plenty of people looking for work up there...if it's engineering... well, that means it's an inferior product.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I suggest Talking to the Dealer First....That would be my first step....

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Were you one of the ones that broke it or is it word of mouth they they were going slow and easy? I saw a broken trip edge at the dealer just like you described on an 8 foot HD and the first thought I had was does this guy know he isnt supposed to plow at 40 MPH? My other thought is that I saw a guy plowing snow into curbs and not raising plow toward end of push. He just was slamming the curb letting it stop him. Ouch...

6. ssprtman12

ssprtman12 Junior Member
    from MA

mycirus. . .i was the one running it both times, been plowing for years and never had any issues before. where are u from in mass, what dealer were u at?

7. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Have had fishers for years. Always mounted on heavy F550's and my guys and I hit sh*t hard and never had failure. I can offer no advise other than lemons? Good luck.

8. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

To "justme"

If your trip spring bars are on the ground, and you have 5in {starting with a 6in edge} of edge still showing, Your truck may be too low, or your plow is set up wrong. Your A-frame should be level with the ground. It sounds like your trip edge attack angle is severe.
    MOXIE

9. ssprtman12

ssprtman12 Junior Member
    from MA

im not sure if the attack angle is too great, i think its almost like its not great enough, b/c it almost appears to catch and bounce over obstructions more than trip, a greater attack angle would be more prone to easier tripping. . .at least thats what i would think

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

isolated issue or pure mis use........choose your poison.

11. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I plow down the Cape but im from the Worc area. It was at Martys GMC in Kingston. They are a fisher dealer too. They said they had just put the plow on 2 weeks prior to it busting. Well I wish you luck when its fixed. Maybe its the attack angle like others said.

12. scotth0828

scotth0828 Junior Member

Broken eyelets also

I have a 2009 Fisher 9.5 SSXV plow on my Ford F550 and one side wing broke the eyelets also. The weld didn't break, but the eyelet cracked and bent the trip edge all up. I called my Fisher dealer, and they told me to bring it down, but also stated that Fisher probably won't warranty it due to abuse! I am the only driver of this truck and have never hit anything. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks Scott

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

:laughing: Ahhh, ok, let me see if I got this right...You have wings on an a 9.5' XV, first off, if anyone hasn't seen how well these things are built, look below...

Secondly, "The weld didn't break, but the eyelet cracked and bent the trip edge all up." ......If the actual metal cracked, but the weld didn't give way?.....that in itself screams abuse. That clearly isn't a manufacturer defect in my opinion. Especially considering how well these things are built.

Listen D&D has some issue with QC.....or had, I'm sure it will be awhile before we see any ripple effects of there efforts to come down the line, with that being said, I too would think abuse in your situation. Metal doesn't just tear like paper.

333.jpg

333.jpg

14. scotth0828

scotth0828 Junior Member

I guess I didn't phrase that right, no "wings" , I should have said that tghe left half of the blade has the problem. There are 3 or 4 pivot points on the bottom of the left frame section that the trip edge attaches to, the 2 closest to the center broke out the back of the eye. I don't recall hitting anything "hidden in the snow" but whi knows. Anyways isn't that what the trip edge is for? I will take a photo, so you can see. I my opinion the eyes are a weak link, only 1/4" of metal.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

ohhhhh, ok. That paints a whole other picture. I was envisioning something completely different.

It seems as though you guys are in the same boat.

16. ssprtman12

ssprtman12 Junior Member
    from MA

When we first took it too the dealer and they were talking to Fisher, they said they have had several issues with the illets on the V-blades failing this way, but not on the straights, which leads me to believe that its from taking impact while angled, further leading to the question. . .. isnt that the point of a trip edge???

mycirus. . .small world, yea Marty's GMC is our dealer as well, and the blade they had was in fact ours, thats why i was wondering what dealer u used b/c i had a feeling it would be Martys if your from Mass and saw a blade with the same issue.

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

Could you guys post some pics.?.?

18. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

On the Black F250 2002ish? Yeah thats the one.

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

So if the parent material fails next to a weld, it must be abuse? It is not possible that the micro-heat treating process that occurs when welding caused microfissures in the HAZ along the weld. This of course would be in the parent material, and WOULD be a common place to see crack origination and rapid propagation.

Without seeing detailed photos of the damaged components, up close and clear, no one here can make an accurate determination as to what ACTUALLY happened.
    :rolleyes:

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

I think that would be considered NOT COMMON. Where is the weakest link there genius....oh, yeah, that's right....at the weld. Yes, but I'm the AHole for....how did you put it...assuming. And you know different because?.....exactly. :rolleyes: