1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 boss neb questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gunsworth, Dec 18, 2008.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Bought mine used and it has about 3 seasons on it (was purchase new about 3 years ago) how do I tell if it is RT-2 or RT3. I ask since im about to change the fluid and need to know bout the screens. I am guessing it is the older style because the smarttouch or whatever controller is one peice not two like i have seen in the manual.

Also it has some chatter when going up, could it be from having the original fluid (my instinct was that it was low on fluid but topping it off did nothing)

Sorry I lied I have a third, is it also normal for a delay in angling under load (its quite snappy without)

2. White Knight

White Knight Member

If the light tower bolts to the coupler RTII if it is all one piece RT3

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

RT2 plows are an older hitch setup from the mid to late 90's. Completely different animal. They have jaws that close on a lever to mount them, not the spring loaded pins or power hitch of an RT3.

4. mnnorthwoods

mnnorthwoods Junior Member

I have an RTII and it can be bear to align and mount. No movement on the plow or mount only direct alignment. If you have any type of smartcontrol it is a RTIII. I have found out the hard way where to drop and where not to...like inside your grarge. That's a no no.

5. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Yeah its an rt3, and I changed the fluid which wasnt bad, just a small buildup on the screens. As for the creaking I sprayed down the pivots near the mounts and it went away, so I need to figure out a way to keep that greased. I am really suprised that in this day in age they dont have a greaseable bushing setup in spots like that.....

6. White Knight

White Knight Member

mnnorthwoods makes a good point. I am not exactly speaking from experience here but have been told that the best place to park an RTII is against a tree to avoid chasing the plow around durring attachment, is that acurate?

7. mnnorthwoods

You are correct. You need something to push against like a tree or hill where you can really hit it hard once you get on the mount. If you push the light stand down before you get it locked up you are done. I put mine on for the plow season and try not to take it off until spring.

8. derekbroerse

Agree. Never take it off unless necessary!! lol But I have a car to drive daily too...

Its interesting, with grease, a floor jack, and 6' prybar sometimes....

9. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Cantankerous RT2 mounting

A backstop would sure be nice, so would a kickstand which might work better than the stump and 2x4 that I rest it on now.

If you keep it close to the right height and sneak up 8-10" away then goose the throttle a smidge, sometimes it'll thump where you need it to go with minimal sliding. Obviously make certain you're lined up before trying this. You have to use the parking brake to keep the truck *exactly* where it stopped for this to work.

Definitely keep a floorjack nearby.

10. mnnorthwoods

The kickstand does help but I have had to replace three in 10 years. They get ripped off if ice get piled up in front of the kickstand.

Nothing like having something to push against that is solid. I have been there with the floor-jack and pry-bar.

Parts for the RII are becoming had to find and good web site to purchase from?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  11. derekbroerse

Hydraulic parts are no problem at the dealer, nor springs or shoes.

I buy the cutting edges from Central Parts Warehouse, tho the shipping is a killer but they are always in stock.

What more do you need?