1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Batteries Winch ATV

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northernsweeper, Oct 27, 2007.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

You guys who are using 4 wheelers for sidewalks,are you running two batteries for your winch and plow? Or is one enough? Also anyone have any experience with the glacier v-plow for sidewalks? Thanks for any input.

2. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

On battery is enough. If needed, get a sealed glass mat battery with the higest amps you can find.

3. northernsweeper

Thanks plowman. Do you have to trickle charge the battery after every event?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The winches do pull a lot of amps and after several hours of use, really tax the charging system on an ATV. I've always run mine with just the stock battery but I don't use the heck out of the quad for plowing and I also use a battery maintainer during non use. Some guys like to add a full size automotive battery on the back rack to add storage capacity to make it through a snow event..it also add's needed weight to help traction.

5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I installed a deep cylce auto battery in the back even before I started playing with all the air controls.

The winch sucks power if you use it as often as I do. I charge the night before a storm because the quads alternator won't charge the auto battery up all the way. Atleast in the amount of time I drive it.

6. northernsweeper

Thanks guys! I will either be installing a second battery or at the very least a better first battery.Anyone using the glacier v plow on their quads? If so how do you like it?