1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 batteries or bigger alternator or both

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I bought a 93 f150 and put a snoway on it since my v10 f350 died. I'm beefing things up to plow hopefully. When I raise the plow the lights go very dim and my amps drop from 14-15 to about 9-10. I'm worried about my battery dying after hours of plowing. So what is my next step? Bigger alternator? Dual batteries? Or both? How big of alt do I need over my stock one?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

First I would replace the existing battery with the highest amp hour battery that will fit in the battery box.

Then I would increase the size of the wire coming off the alternator and replace it with at least a 4 gage wire ran directly to the battery.

What size alternator do you have now? Snoway has some of the lowest amp draws in the industry, normally one battery and a decent alternator is all that is required.

3. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have the biggest battery now, not sure what size my alt is. It's a 5.0 automatic, looks like 95 amp was the stock size. Thanks never thought about the wire size. How big should I go with the new alternator?

4. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I would do the big 3 on the wires go with 2 Gage and at least a 140+ alt.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check and clean all your connections. Make sure the power and grounds are attached directly to the battery. How old is the battery? Is it a new plow?

6. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Go with biggest alternator available. Probably 140.

7. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

It sounds like you may have a grounding issue. I would completely remove your negative cable and clean it. Then I would add an extra ground from the truck to the plow motor. I had this issue with an older Western and it fixed the amp draw issue.

8. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

I would do both, and the big 3. More battery is useless if you can't charge it.

9. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

The battery is new, 1000cca. The plow is an older model. I guess a bigger alt and thicker wires is in order. Thanks

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

CCA is great but AMP HOURS is what keeps you running all night.

Run a amp loss test on your power and ground cables. Check to see what condition the motor and 12 volt solenoid is in. What fluid is in the unit, heavy or gelled fluid will DRAG a motor down as will clogged pick up filters.

11. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Get yourself an overdrive pulley for the alternator for starters, if you can find a powermaster high amp upgrade go for it. Otherwise, Save your pennies for fixing your v10 or another solid axle truck. The TTB half ton front end will eat ball joints with a plow and you'll be bleeding cash every month for repairs.

I speak from experience. I've got a 94 bronco and had an 89 f150. Same thing, same story.

12. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I'm with Basher on this one. The diehard platinum is one of the best, its all I buy now.

13. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Same here on diehard ran the gold them went to platinum great battery.

14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Very interesting thread!