1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 batteries? new alternator? both?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by itchyfishnv, Sep 6, 2004.

1. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

What do you guys recomend, running 2 batteries? or getting a high current alternator? or doing both? I was thinking about upgrading my alternator but i really dont have the extra 350 dollars. If anyone runs 2 batteries can you show me how you hooked them up?

thanx
    itchyfish

2. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

What I recommend

I recommend one alternator, one battery and one excellent belt driven MONARCH pump to run your plow up and down and left and right.

BELT DRIVEN is by far more reliable and easier on your electrical system than some high amperage drawing electrical pump system.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

call summit or jegs get a optima deep cycle battery its the best

4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have had much success with 2 batteries. Basically, when the plow runs, you are on very high drain for a fairly short time. Even a high output alt will choke on that (assuming of course that you are also running headlights, beacon, reverse lights, cool running lights, stereo, etc at same time). That is what the other battery is for - it helps even out the load on the alternator. When running one battery, you can put a good drain on it and that is very hard on the battery - as the battery gets poorer, it is very hard on the alternator. Next thing you know is that you are changing both.

I would put my money into the second battery before I upped the alt - unless of course it is really undersized. You just connect both positives together, and both negatives together.

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Jhook:

You got the program.

Right on the money.

Smart a$$ Canadian.

I AM Canadian>

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

why not run an isolation block with the truck on one battery and the plow, flasher, backup lights on the other? If you run one battery running the plow you still have juice to keep the truck running and you dont end up killing 2 batteries.

Just a thought!

7. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

Jhook: you are saying run batteries in parallel mode, just connect the postive to postive and negative to negative? like this? http://www.fords-mtm.com/images/batteries-parallel.jpg
    i was thinking about doing that i just wasnt sure if it was going to more strain on the alternator. Im not looking for a reserve so i dont really need an isolator, i just need that power right away while the truck is running. Maybe i will go out tommorow and buy another redtop.

8. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

how i wired 2nd battery

i just added a bunch of lights to my truck.8 strobe bar with a bunch of halogen work lights etc.i put a 950 cca battery in a battery box in my tool box in the bed.ran grd from that battery to the frame.ran the hot(+) along the frame to a solenoid mounted by the 1st battery under the hood.ran another hot(+) from the other post of the solenoid to the hot(+) on the 1st battery.the solenoid is wired to only be powered on when i turn the key on to start and when running.this way eliminated the need to buy 2 batteries that are close in condition and an isolator. i used the battery i used because it was brand new and only $50 bucks.the battery box and cables cost me another 50 and the solenoid was 20..my alternator is a 130-140 ? amp and there`s no room for another alt..best way to go is 2 batteries in my opinion.

9. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

2nd battery?

Anyone have an f-250 with 5.4?? Where is there room for a second battery? One the other side of the hood from my batt. is the intake for my k&n?any thoughts?>

10. jhook

jhook Senior Member

You got it right on the money. Make sure you use proper battery cables. I don't use any isolator - 2 batteries all the time. You won't create more strain on the alternator. You will create less because you are reducing the immediate high demand that the plow requires.

Extra bonus - your truck will start so fast you won't even recognize it :nod:

11. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I run 2 batteries. I tried one the first year and killed it. On the return trip (or when you arn't drawing from the battery) the alternator doesn't have time to replentish the battery. I also made the mistake of putting a new battery with an old one. That only lasted about a year. I went out and got 2 high dollar batteries and this is the 4th year on them. The biggest alternator I could find was like a 105 amp for my 87 Chevy. I seem to be getting along with this setup ok. When the truck isn't in use for 3 - 4 weeks I throw a battery charger on Trickle on the pickup just to make sure that both batteries are fully charged.

12. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

Well, I thought that i would have room to mount 2 batteries under the hood, turns out, i dont. Do you think that I could get away with mounting it in the trunk? if so what gauge wire should I use and what should be the max legnth?

13. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Ummm.. Your plow truck has a trunk??