1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 axle vs 3 axle deck over?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Jun 30, 2013.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    i don't own any type of deck over but hope to get one. afew 3 axles have come up lately ...any reason to go with or without 3 axles vs 2 axles.

here's alink to one if it works http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/3802980065.html

Thanks,
    Steve

2. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Thats one heavy trailer. My guess is its a 18 or 20k GVW trailer. They were used back in the day to haul backhoes and paving boxes. I would think its 25 years old plus based on the design and rims. 2 axle deck over vs 3 axles most times in older trailers is GVW. Newer trailer can GVW out at 18k to 20k on 2 axles.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Thats a old but soild trailer, heavy as hell too.

Another to check is the brake system. Full electric,surge or electric over hydraulic.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

It's 18k gvw but if its as heavy as it looks you'll be lucky to carry 12-14k legally. $2500 for a trailer that's got to be at least 20 years old, I wouldn't do it but that's just me. Call Appalacian in Salem, Ohio. I had them build me a 16k gvw trailer and was out the door for $4500 or so. Best light duty trailer I've ever used and trust me, I've used a lot of them over the years. If they're too far to make the drive Kaufman build a really nice trailer as well and I believe they'll ship to any place with a loading dock.

5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I'd also be concerned about the tire size. Some of those older trailer tires are hard to come by. Also, for a tri-axle, the 16' flat is a bit short...depending on what you're hauling. I have a 24k w/ a 20' flat, and it's is generally perfect for my needs.

6. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Also, check the height of the deck. A concern depending on what you're loading...not only for overpasses (clearance), but also with loading: a higher deck means a steeper climb up the ramps. Not a problem for backhoes or skidsteers. but a potential problem for some other equipment. The tops of the tires are fully below the frame, making it a higher deck (probaly 25-30"): compare it to the height of the trailer right next to it.