1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2.8 Mpg

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselboy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

I was plowing with my 1995 f-350 with a 460 gas. after calculating my gallons used and my mile i drove i got 2.8 mpg. i know 460 suck on fuel, but this seems a little extreme. anyone else get around this for mpg?

2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Did you take into account that you were backing up alot also? Also I have found that if I have to drive very far between jobs it sucks the fuel as well. I had a 2001 V-10 F-350 that only got 5 MPG plowing but that was before you count the backing up.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

When I had my 2001 Ram 1500 I usually got between 3-5 MPG plowing on a regular basis. That was with the 360 V-8, and besides plowing, the gas mileage sucked all the way around; towing, city, highway, etc. Awesome truck and power but damn! :D

4. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I just did my plow route 3 times on one tank with my Cherokee HAHA. But I've been there. Heck my buddy spends over $8000 in gas a year on his V10.

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

My 79 Dually....

My 79 GMC 4x4 dually,400,turbo 400,part time transfer kit got 6-8mpg not plowing!

79 GMC1.jpg

6. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Sounds about right to me.. my 83 with a 460 got about 3 MPG with loads of power to spare...gotta love the bigblock

My 89 with a 351 got 1.15 MPG. without much power to spare...wish it had been a big block

now I get about 9 with my diesel....

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, I would have thought you get better than that with your Cummins. I get anywhere from 11-14mpg with my 6.0 Powerstroke, depending on how I drive.....:rolleyes:

8. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Just to clarify for everyone (Myself included)

The 9mpg with the Cummins is while pushing snow...not daily driving..

Daily driving I get 15-20 depending on how I drive...but anyone who has seen me drive knows that I tend to get the 15ish #'s rather than the 20 ...road rage and a heavy foot are my co-pilots :D :D

guessing by your 11-14 range with the 6.0 PSD you are talking about plowing...most of the PSD's that I know get 18-23 mpg daily MPG..

If I coulda got an oval with a Cummins I woulda...:drinkup:

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i get 4.5 mpg with the GMC 366 big block towing

10. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

With my Bronco I got 5 miles per gallon plowing. Lots of backing up.