1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2,661' long x 5' Sidewalk Blower ???

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Antlerart06, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

City ask for a bid for a sidewalk
    Its a one time cleaning after Snow is done
    The catch is its a long a State Hwy So If we get 4'' snow There could be atleast 8'' of snow on that walk
    The state rolling the Hwy snow on to walk

I know how to bid it with a plow but Might be a time I would need to use a Blower
    I dont own a blower Might bethe time get one if I win the bid

What Im asking is What would you charge for every 100' with a blower????

2. ultimatelawns

ultimatelawns Member

Probably only around $20 per 100'. Should be able to do a couple hundred feet in an hour with one guy. There is a problem though. If you wait till the end of the storm the slush and snow that the city threw onto it will be frozen and a snow blower may not get it done.

3. Antlerart06

OK But that is how the contact reads 1 time per day

So you are saying a blower wont handle the build up

Wow 200 ft per hour I was hoping do it all under a hour

The one I was going buy is a 60'' for my Gehl skidloader

So skip the blower idea just use my Skidloader+ plow

Lite build up may just use my ATV

My price is realy close to what you said So thats what I will turn in Monday I dont need it but if I get it I'll make good money

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

If you are using a skid steer w/ blower attachment, you will be fine and it will work at a rate way higher than 200' per hour. I think he was talking about using a walk behind blower.

I'd suggest looking for one that has double stacked augers, with one large fan in the rear. This will give the opening of the blower a much larger opening height. I saw one like this at my dealer the other day, not sure of the brand though.

Generally, the width that the shorter ones have is sacrificed for the height of the tall ones which works in favor since your doing sidewalks. I'm sure at some point you will encounter very high snow banks, especially around turns or the initial break-through of going into the snow bank.

5. Antlerart06

One was going buy was a used bobcat doesnt look used either He bought new in 2010 used it in one snow storm Buying it local
    One snow lawn company closed there doors selling stuff off
    Been buying some things from them
    Wait see if I get the contact if I buy it and I might buy it anyway

6. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

I would use my Yamaha Big Bear 400 with 60 inch Plow. I charge 85 an hour.

7. Antlerart06

How long you think it take you clean it

Be nice charge by the hour but Thats not what they was looking for They was looking for a set price
    I turned it in waiting to hear back Tomorrow

8. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

If I understand its 2661 feet long and 5 feet wide. How long it takes will depend on the depth and type of snow. If it is ice from the road way plow trucks that threw the road slush up on top of the snow it will take longer I would just guess two hours to be safe. Will you have to salt

9. Antlerart06

O no on the salt walk is only 2 months old

I figure If I have to use the ATV be 4'' and less My crew will run both blades down on the ATV double clean it
    I figure be there no more then a hour
    Figure 5'' and up Skidloader My Gehl will fit on a 60'' walk plow it or might run a blower

10. Antlerart06

Well I didnt win the bid No big deal for me I didnt realy need it

But was 4 bids turned in and I place 2nd
    3 of us was realy close about 20 dollar difference from me to the 4th bid

But the guy won it was 1/8 of the other 3 bids
    We get a deep snow He'll will be eating it with a WB blower
    But his overhead is much less so he might be ok with his price