1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2.5yrd Sander on '92 Dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bachand, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Bachand

Bachand Junior Member

Thinkning about putting a 2.5 yd sander on a 92 dodge 2500 w/ 318 I have kicking around...

I was thinking about the Firestone Air Bag suspension in the rear to take the weight.

Any thoughts or anything I should think about?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's pretty big for a 15 yr old 3/4 ton. Maybe just fulling it half full or so? Mainly, check the axle rating. Everybody worries about the springs, when it's the axle itself you need to think about. The springs are easy to see being overloaded, the axle just "gives up".

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

And the brakes weren't made to stop that much weight.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Not to mention the 318 engine that's a little small for climbing hills with all the weight.

5. Bachand

Bachand Junior Member

I know, I know...

My parter has that truck kicking around , and it fixed on this idea... right now the sander is in my 97 Chevy 3500 Dual Wheel, Diesel... But we need to move it so I can use my truck for work until it snows.

He is fixed on this idea, and maybe I'll just let him do it and watch the little ol' dodge grenade itself, because he doesn't want to listen to me when I say it wasn't meant for it...

I want to get another sander also, maybe a 1.7 would be better for the dodge and leave the 2.5 on mine...

Kind of want to teach him a lesson, we'll see :)

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You got to be careful with the State Troopers too. The real smart ones will know that's too much weight for the truck. I don't know about your State, but the troopers in mine would ticket / tow their Grand Mother!

7. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I think you are on the right track with a 1.7 yd for that truck. Especially if you are really talking sand or salt/sand mix rather than just salt.