1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2.5 tornado

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Hysert, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Just mounted a 2.5 tornado. Was wondering if you guys are running invert Vs and or vibrators? Compared to my 09 1.5s this unit has several updates... especially the spinner unit is way nicer..

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Was your old 1.5 the rubber conveyer?

3. Hysert

It was a 09. Chain conveyor!

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The inverted V is "essential" in my opinion. Without it the load presses down too hard on the conveyor. If you leave it overnight you risk not being able to get it started. When the conveyor is restricted the motor pulls so hard that the two sprockets actually pull together until you get "sprocket lock." The input shaft coming from the large sprocket down to the gear box actually bends because it is so long.

Vibrators are only installed on about one out of ten Tornadoes we sell, however those who have them use them regularly and swear by them.

A problem I find with these units, when mounted in pickups, is that the front return roller bearing grease zerks are too hard to get at and never get greased. The problem is that they are so hard to reach. I have removed the zerks from the bearings and installed grease gun flex hoses (threaded ends are perfect) and then made a little angle iron bracket that I mount up where it is easy to reach and see.

Another common mistake people make when installing these themselves is running the power / communication cable under the rear bumper too close to the spinner. In no time at all the sander "sand blasts" the covering off the cable and then the insulation off the comm wires. Once the coating is comprimized moisture gets in and the copper disintigrates causing a comm error. That is your controller beeps and flashes code 1. Take the time to fit the cable up behind the bumper and well away from where the spinner throws your material.

Keep an eye on the guys who load you. When it's 20 below and the loader hits your Tornado it will shatter like nobody's business.

Read the installation instruction too. When we install at my shop we use three devices:
    1: The usual ratchet strap tie downs on all four corners, preferably two pulling forward and two backward.
    2: Put bolts through the floor of the truck / deck and the black metal straps that come with the sander.
    3: If the sander doesn't butt right up against the front of the box / deck then build a "head board". I usually take one 2X4 that goes all the way across from side to side to keep the head board in place. Then I build and extension in the middle out to the end of the conveyor frame. That is the only really solid metal part and it is the component that everything else is attached to. This head board is what stops the sander from going through the back of the cab and making you part of the steering wheel in the event of a front end collision. In a minor collision this stops the sander from shifting forward and tearing off the spinner assembly. (That's a $1000 part!)

5. Hysert

Thanks Dave.. knew you had some experiance... my 1.5s were easyer on start up.. i have a home made V and will get it in...