1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2.5 Tornado on Cab Forward

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 4evergreenlawns, Nov 5, 2009.

1. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Just removed the side and mounted the new 2.5 Tornado on the LCF truck. Oh Ultra Strobe added a few lights too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 4evergreenlawns

controller in cab

[​IMG]

a few pics of the 1.25 Tornado in the service truck too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. no plow for the cab over

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Nice setup Ron.

5. 4evergreenlawns

Thanks Mark, First season using the LCF for snow work, Lets see how it fits in. I have never run just a salt truck so I hope it will pan out. If not I can always take off the extention and put it in my F-350 Crew Cab,

Twins,

NO plow. I have seen 1st hand what a cab over does to a plow. I'll pass on that action. Should make a great salt truck with turning radius. We will see.

Ron G.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Curious Ron what does a cab over do to a plow. I've heard they are great to plow with????

7. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

I have a good friend who has a 2006 LCF, The had to make a custom mount but last year they ran a 9'2" boss v xt plow, and a 3 yard salter in the dump bed, with the right tires that thing was awesome, I will try to get picture of it, the plow is on it now

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good. What are you doing in place of the "blocking" as recommended? Maybe a decent size piece of angle and a couple pins in the bed floor.

You want something solid. Get in an accident, that will crush the driver.

9. 4evergreenlawns

I can get some pics of the mounting. Trust me that puppy is bolted down about 8 times. I am also still going to do 4 point straps and I am working on a cab sheild just below the window on the bed. Right not the either top rear of the engine is exposed to anything that might slip off the front of the bed.

Most people that really know me, and not just those the read what I post on the interent I mean people that have seen my equipment and how I upfit and re-upfit my trucks know I build for the worse possible conditions. Just in case.

Oh and when you say "get in an accident like a 88 year old lady turck left in front of you in a 50MPH zone leading to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is that what you meant???

10. TRKling

TRKling Member

Ouch. That is painful to look at.

Nice truck though.. Bet it's an animal plowing snow.

11. 4evergreenlawns

No lie!!!!!!!!!!!!! This truck is the 08 F-450 listed. It was delivered in Feb.09 and only had just over 5,000 miles on it. This happen in Sept. 09.

Great plowing truck. It is the second F-450 I have owned and I own a F-550 set up the same way.

Ron G

12. KrisR

KrisR Member
    from NH

If you don't mind me asking how much did the 2.5 speader cost you? I've seen them for $ 4950.

13. 4evergreenlawns

Thas would be a great price cash and carry. All total installed and tax about $5,800.

Ron G

14. 4evergreenlawns

Well after the Erie Road crew did custom installs on 10 cab forward trucks for a local only 2 of them are still mounted today.

The issue is the steering axel is too close the the plow and want to ride up and over it everytime it hits something. Also the way the weight of the plow is leveraged that close to the front axel the power hitch takes a beating. At least that is what I saw with Blizzard Power Plows on Cab Forward trucks.

I have heard of V blades doing great. After you drive one of these trucks and fell the way it ride and you see the way it turns and at 1st glance you think WOW seating right over the plow would be great. Then you get bounced a few time in the cab and you think that would that do to the plow, or how would the plow hold up when pinched in the tight turning radius.

So it is nto that I have not given it serious thought. But even my plow installer how I have alot of trust in said it would not be a great idea even though he knows he could get it to fit.

Just my view. I think it is going to make a great salt truck but that is about all it will see in the winter season.

Ron G.

15. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like it will make a great salt truck. I guess when your a big company and have lots of snow I can see where your coming from. Me, I like were I'm at one now and maybe two employees in the future. That means I will be the man to blame for any problems and damage to the equipment.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to see the truck like that, Ron, hope no one was hurt.

I've seen the pic of the tandem spreader and Blizzard on Tovar's website, is that what they mounted all the Blizzards on? Or were there some single axle trucks?

Without being an engineer, my theory would be that the trucks were far too heavy for a Blizzard, based on the pic I saw. I know I wouldn't put one on my 750 and would think long and hard before installing one on my F800.

17. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Man that hurts to look at!!! :cry:

You have awesome trucks Ron!! I see you in South Elgin all the time..Can't miss your trucks! saw you in the 350 the other day on rt. 31.

Im Campos & Sons..Im sure you see me around....My shops in S. Elgin.

L. Campos:salute:

18. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

Those crash pictures make me want to cry.. I couldn't imagine if someone hit my F350

19. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your truck getting hit. What light bar do you have on the service truck?

20. 4evergreenlawns

In the picture posted here at the time it was a 911EP 48" bar. Since I removed it and replace it with a Arrow stick in that location and when with Split Code 3 Supervisors in the cab. I wanted something more of a slick top for my Service Truck.

I have some pics of the Code 3 set up somewhere I'll look fro them but you can see the light bar at the top of the windshield in this pic.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the LCF with the leaf vac.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009