1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2.5 polycast on a 1 ton dually

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stoobs67, Oct 28, 2009.

1. stoobs67

stoobs67 Junior Member

I was going to buy my second fisher polycaster sander. I have a 1.25 yard now, but i need to upgrade to a bigger one. Now fisher offers a 1.8 and a 2.5. I would love the 2.5 but i think that might be a bit big for my 1 ton mason dump. I was going to add 2 leafs to each spring, but i know i would be totally over weight legally even though i never seen a plow truck pulled over for over weight, also it might be to much weight for the motor.

Anyone have any input on this? Thanks

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Yeah........sell me your old one. LOL :D

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Two strategies - Get the bigger one. Do your biggest lot first.

Or - Get the smaller one. Put the extension on if you want to later. I bet this way is more expensive. Either way, register your truck for the weight you carry.

4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I run 2.0 yard sno-ways with 10" sides and get close to 3.0 yards in them. We run salt/sand through them alot also which is heavier than just straight salt and my 3500HD's hardly squat. When we load em full with mix we are right at GVWR

5. stoobs67

stoobs67 Junior Member

ive actually decided to get the 1.8. I can probably get a little over 2 yards when i start. i remember last winter putting about 1.5 in my other sander and it was alot of weight. I will just be pushing it with the 2.5

Thanks for reply's

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

if you don't mind saying...what was the price of the 1.8 you got?
    steve

7. stoobs67

stoobs67 Junior Member

I don't know the price of the 1.8. I know the 2.5 is $5300 out the door no install. I imagine
    the 1.8 is just under 5k. My 1.25 was $4300 installed, but that was 2 years ago. I can let u know tomorrow when I pick it up.

8. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

whats the gvw of the truck?

9. stoobs67

stoobs67 Junior Member

1120 gvw....

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Seems a little low for a tonner. Maybe a prius in KG :D

11. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

that's an incredible price just from searching the net...congrats !!!!

12. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

For a 1 ton? Wow, heck the 3500HD's are 15,000

13. 3311

3311 Senior Member

Just remember that the new polys have the swing up lids and you cannot heap them. We bought the 2.5 for our 1 ton and will not top it off unless we are unloading on a big lot around the corner.

14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Just cause they have a lid, doesn't mean you have to use them.

I had my 2.6 yard stainless steel on a ton ford and it was all it wanted. When rounded (close to 3 yards) it was really probably too much for the truck.