1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2-3 compared to 6

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cutbetterthanyo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. cutbetterthanyo

cutbetterthanyo Senior Member

I have never done this before, but i have a custamer that whats a custom contract. He want one price for me to push his lot from 1-6 inches after the storm is over, but before his store opens at 8. Anything over 6 he want to handle himself with his tractor. The reason being he lives 30 mins from his store and don't feel like bringing in the tractor for that little bit, but anything over 6 our town pratically shuts down any way. My big problem is i have never waited to push 6 inchs. I never have pushed more than 4 so how much long does it take to do 6 compared to 2-3? Is it twice as long, i doubt it. Can someone give me a idea. The lot i am refering to shoul take 30-45 mins with 2-3 how long do you guys think with 6?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Run away, as for time it could easily take twice as long for the 6" it all depends on the lot. I guess if you want the work figure your per time price as if you were plowing 4". I see it being a pain in the rear, what happens when you get 5" with drifting and you plow it then he shows up with his tractor. He's not going to want to pay you. Good luck. I'd put something in the contract that states you will have X amount of the lot done by 8am if there is more than X amount of snow, seeing that you have to wait until it's done snowing before you can plow.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  3. cutbetterthanyo

cutbetterthanyo Senior Member

Yeah I have been putting him off ,but it is the guy that i get my salt and landscape supplys from. Plus he has been a friend of my dads since i was a kid. I don't know, i almost hate fooling with ppl like this because he refers me some work to, i hate to get on his bad side.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Tell him you would like to do it but don't want to overextend yourself and not be able to provide good serviceThumbs Up
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Well just give him the price that works for you and if he does not like it then you don't have to worry about it and he can find someone else. You are in the business to make money and I have lost plenty of bids due to price and I just forget about (Usually I think to myself F-it) and move on to the next one. He is a business man also and should understand you need to turn a profit. Just double up your 2-4 inch price and roll with it. The worst that he can do is say no. Good Luck.
  6. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

Another guy trying to run your business for you. We push every 3" take it or leave it. would charge him double and if he takes it just push it twice for one price.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

pushing 6 or more inches of snow is very common in some instances
    doesnt take twice as long but it does take a bit longer
  8. Come on guys we are talking a max of 6" here not 2 feet! 6" is not that hard to push. How many times has that accumulated on one lot when you were doing a 3" push on another lot during heavy snowfall? Its not a big deal, If you want to do it bid it so it will be profitable to you and make it worth the small extra effort required, if not as others have said simply tell the guy you are too busy to be able to service him properly, so you would suggest he find someone else. I have never had one person get upset with me for that reason.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

add 30% 3-5.99 "
  10. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Sounds like your bidding per storm. You could give him your normal contract, including prices for 6" and over storms. Then tell him that he should contact you, when he wants to do the lot himself. Explain how you normally push every 4" and how he would need to contact you early during an event.

This puts the responsibility on him. If you don't get a call, plow the lot. You don't want to be guessing whether or not you need to do the lot.