1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st Year Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by River Hill, Oct 18, 2002.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

In my never ending search to find a plow that will serve my needs, I have come up with another question. Would you buy a first year plow from a company? Here is the situation. Western is soon to release there V plows with a Ultramount. The Ultramount that is on the V will be a complete redesign of there current Ultramount including new blades, frames and other parts. I know the first year they did there current Ultramount they had some issues and a few revisions of the original. I have not heard anthing bad about there current Unimount, but the Ultramount sure looks like a winner. I just don't want to be a test person for Western. Western gives a 2 year warranty and we don't get much snow it MD. I my not be able to give it a full test for 2 years and than I would be stuck without a warranty. As many of you know I have also looked at the Fisher V with the MinuteMount 2 and the Blizzard. Please give your thoughts and opinons.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2002
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Would I buy a first year v plow from western? Yes and I did, I bought a v plow the first year western made them in the unimount 6 yrs ago. I did have a problem with the hinge point, and western took care of the problem. They are a stand up company, that makes a good product.
  3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I'd buy another new MVP even with a newer design. Dino is right. Western and Fisher have the same mother company and their V plow design (can't speak for the mount since I am not as familiar with the Fisher) is nearly identical.

Part of my decision to buy an MVP was based on the fact that Western and Fisher are sister companies and Fisher probably has the best name and brand recognition in the industry from what I have seen. I almost bought a Fisher instead, but Western is much more prominent in my market.

I don't know this for a fact, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet that the Western MVP was based on the Fisher, and not vice-versa.

If we were talking about a whole new concept in plowing, I might suggest waiting until the "bugs are worked out." However, I doubt there are going to be any major issues with the newly designed mounting system for the V.
  4. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

Thank you guys for your input. I have a few more questions for Western, and I will soon be able to make my decision.
  5. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I need a little more feedback!

There maybe some delays with the MVP with Ultramount. If I can't get the MVP with Ultramount, I am either going to buy a MVP with Unimount or the Fisher EZ V with Minute Mount 2. I do have a Western dealer and a Fisher dealer nearby. How does the Unimount compare to the Minute Mount 2 and how does the MVP compare to the EZ V? I know they are owned by the same company, but I am sure there are some differences.