1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st year not using shoes, are u sure???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Starboyz66FTP, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Starboyz66FTP

Starboyz66FTP Junior Member
    from buffalo

i know i see threads all the time about plow shoes are only good for paper weights. i have used shoes always and his year i am going to not use them but am kind of nervous about damaging properties and my plow ... i need some reassurance....
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

mine are already on my desk ready for winter in my room!
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Don't worry. You are not going to dig up any more of a property than you would with them on. If you hit a soft spot in grass with the shoes on the sink really fast. I use mine only on my gravel/ hardpack driveway just becuase it is so long and I don't really want to dig up the driveway with a fresg cutting blade. I also like to leave about an inch of snow that gets packed down and turns really hard on the flat spots because then the plow just rides right over it.
  4. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

I use my shoes to cork my bum to deflect the smoke my customers like to blow up my a$$ during plow season..
  5. doh

doh Senior Member

I only use mine while plowing on the lake. It is the only way to get a nice clean job, but it does make the first few snows a little more time consuming on gravel driveways but I only have 1 of those.
  6. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

doh, do you mean plowing on the ice???
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Really..you use them on the lake??lol..
    I admit the plow does chatter on the ice some times when I plow the road out to the shack with out the shoes lowered.

The only times I use the skids/ shoes/ runners/ paperweights, door stops/ butt shields.
    is on gravel drives BEFORE the ground freezes.

On asphalt, concrete, etc, etc, I raise them all of the way up.
    Scrape it to pavement!

If you have a Boss-V plow I recommend you use the center one (shoe).
    I set it at the same hight as the bottom of the plows moldboard not the cutting edge.
    It protects the center Section from damage and getting hung up, when pushing over curbs
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have two sets sitting in my garage! I told the dealer to keep them but he said no thanks he has about 100 pair sitting around from guys who don't want them. I don't know of any guys who use them. Oh yeah there was a guy plowing one night who was using them and made the biggest freak'in mess! He was told to re-plow the lot without the shoes or don't come back.:salute:
  9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

all dirt or gravel yes. but sec or third time out with my old atv plow i bent 1 back. took them off and threw them out in the scrap. if you are all flat plowing run the edge only.