1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st year in business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by David 06 Ranger, Jan 1, 2009.

1. David 06 Ranger

David 06 Ranger Member
    from canada

I know we all start with nothing at one point, theres a time when we decide to start our own business knowing that its a gamble. It's my first year in business for myself and I know I will make it eventually but I'm finding it very slow! I have a marketing director and I promote myself well, I take pride in what I do and do good work, I treat people fair and I mean I have quite a few repeat clients who keep me going but it's tough. How does everyone make it through the begining? How long did it take before you didn't have to worry about getting work?

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

There will and should always be a concern for getting work. Growth is a good thing, however too much growth too fast can be just as damaging if not more so than not having enough. It's also important to realize that things are/will always be changing and one of the worst things you can do is to become too comfortable with where things are when they are good. In fact, when things are good is a great time to look at whats next...makes for a less painful adjustment when things go South or sideways. One of the biggest mistakes that I think many (myself included) have made is not feeding the business sufficiently when there were good opportunities to do so.It always feels nice to be rewarded, but making decisions based on entitlement can and will kill any business. Also, one of the biggest misconceptions that so many people have is that they somehow think that being your own boss will somehow be a lot easier than working for someone else or that they will be able to work a lot less. Everything in this world has it's price, we all just have to decide what price we are willing to pay for our independence and freedom...which is really what it's all about, isn't it?...living the dream.

Good luck with you new venture and may the force be with you ! wesport :drinkup:

3. Arbortek

Arbortek Junior Member

That is some of the best advise I have heard, I have been in an un-related business for 7 yrs now and I have had up to 8 guys fulltime and a large client base that like the economy has almost disapeared.
    I am now in a position like year 1-2 that I have to compete for every dollar I make.
    If you [B]DO WHAT YOU SAY WHEN YOU SAY YOUR GONNA DO IT! and provide a good service at a competitive price your client base will continue to spread by word of mouth and growth will naturally occur.
    Good luck,
    Mike

4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

It takes time to get your name out, next season will be better than first.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Start talking to possible new clients earlier next year.