1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st year. Get contracts or work house by house?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Sep 16, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

well, this is my first year plowing, dont know how or anything (going to learn the first big fall).... what would you guys reccommend. getting contracts my first year or just working house by house once i get the hang of it (hopefully a few hours after the first fall). im thinking of not doing contracts, just doing house by house (neighbors, freinds, people i cut lawns for (about 50))... at least i think i might even make more money doing it by going house to house vs. contracts, just with the contracts you can get some upfront money.

what do ya guys think?

2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Be a sub for someone already established. You get to learn the ropes and make money too. Personally I don't ask for money up front for plowing, for the same reason I don't pay my bills ahead of time. This isn't a new question here, doing a search for first year or similar will give you a lot of good advise. Good luck.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's a good idea for the first year. Don't get hooked into something and find out later you can't deliver. Friends/family are more understanding & forgiving than others would be. Just ask them to give you honest feedback and don't worry about hurting your feelings.