1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st Timer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigmike35, Nov 9, 2002.

1. bigmike35

bigmike35 Junior Member
    from buffalo

Hello to the plowing world.
    I am looking for some basic info on different trucks. I would like to do some residential plowing like driveways & very small lots.
    Can anyone recomend trucks? I was thinking like an s-10, ford ranger, gmc sonoma etc...

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i always plowed my driveway accounts with my pickups, till i bought a jeep!

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Try doing a search for the brand of truck you like. There have been lots of posts about different trucks and who likes what.

Personally I use an older bodied Dodge 1/2 ton.

I guess its just what brand you like.

And let me welcome you to Plowsite:waving:
    Mark K

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

If your gonna do drives and sidewalks a small truck it great.But if your doing largers drives and commercial go bigger at least 3/4 ton in my opinion.All depends on your needs and if your buying a used one getting a good deal .

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

depends on the size of the drives, straight pushes or a lot of backplowing, turning, backing up, etc..
    to build on my first post i used my pickups to plow my accounts, and on some driveways, the truck would take up the entire driveway. so you would do a lot more with the shovels. now my jeep is perfect for these small drives, but for my big lots i use the pickups.
    again depends on the job, and what you're comfortable plowing with.

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I would say that unless you plan on keeping th vehicle for more than a first vehicle to learn how to plow with, save your money and buy the smallest, most maneuverable vehicle you can.

A shortbed, S-10, Ranger, Jeep, Bronco, or Blazer would be ideal unless you have many established customers. There is a member from Illinois here that I think may have a perfect plow for that setup (Sno-Way which is lighter than comparable plows due to the Lexan moldboard). Last I saw his asking price was $700 without a frame. That is a good price unless the plow is junk, which I doubt.

If you could find an older fullsize Bronco/Blazer/Jimmy with a plow mounted in decent shape, that would be a great way to "get your feet wet" without buying a much more costly setup. Befriend a fellow plowman in your area, and he may be willing to go take a look at and evaluate some used setups like that if you can find them. He would be likely to know from experience the things to look and listen for when buying a used plow rig. You don't have to have a cherry rig, as long as you have something that has been properly maintained and it hasn't sustained any unusual abuse beyond normal plowing conditions.

I had a sub plow for me with the oldest, junkiest looking blazer with a plow that looked like the predecessor of the Snow Bear. I didn't care because the price was right and I had backup for him in case anything happened. He made it through 4 wet 1.5"-4" snowfalls plowing a 5 acre lot by himself last season.

Again, I had backup, but it shows that something in a little better shape could still be quite viable, especially because driveway plowing (longer drives) can be much easier on a truck than the back and forth of backdragging drives or all the back and forth of commercial plowing. Brake systems and drivetrains undergo very unusual use patterns during such use and this is not primarily what any vehicle was meant to withstand.

7. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I will keep my comments short.

If you are planning on doing driveways large or small and smaller commercial lots, I would recomend buying a Jeep Wrangler Sport. Hands down the best driveway plow truck I have ever used or seen. Stick a rear plow on it and the truck is a driveway hog, eats up driveways quick, really quick!

I guess it also depends on how long you plan on being in the game, and what type of plowing you want to be doing, say three years down the road. One thing you don't want to do is buy a new truck that will not be practical when your buisness needs change.

Just my two cents worth.