1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st Time Seasonal Bidder needs help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jimp, Nov 15, 2009.

1. jimp

jimp Junior Member

I've been plowing for 4 years and for the first time have been asked to place a seasonal bid, I need help please.
    I have a commercial lot with approx: 100,000 sq. ft. of driveway plus parking area that includes a loading dock that will need to be cleared with a bucket loader or backhoe. There is also 3000 sq. ft. of sidewalks. I plowed these kinds of areas per push. My questions is what formula do you use to come up with a seasonal rate and not kill the bottom line?

Jim p.
  2. mtk469

mtk469 Member

We always take our per push price x the seasonal average # of snows and then add a push or 2.
    So for example if I have a $500 per push job that and our average is 10 storms then the seasonal would probably be $6000.

Everybody does it a little different I imagine but this has worked pretty well for us. I try to get multi year contracts so that if we have a heavy year snow wise then I have another couple of years to help offset/recoupe those heavy years.

Just my $.02
  3. jimp

jimp Junior Member

Thank you for the info mtk469, along the lines of what I thought to do. Just don't want to work for free.

Jim P.
  4. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

If it snows enough you will.....

sometime we add an upper limit in inches. our a refund at the low end to minimize the risk for both sides.
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Same process here. I almost always add a "blizzard clause" as well. Usually the seasonal will cap out at 10" per storm, then it's an additional charge per every 2" there after. Occasionally I will pump it to a 12" cap, but not often.