1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st time on site. question about a plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Ezdayman, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Ezdayman

Ezdayman Junior Member

Hi Guy new to site. :) im sure im not the 1st to ask so im sorry!! i currently have a 9-6Western older MVP V-plow.

its faded, has rust etc. So i want to upgrade to a new one and im beating myself up so hard over this!

do I want a 9-6 again? I want A western MVP wedge but i dont know if should go to POLY or metal.. I really wanted to stainless cause it would look sharp on my new truck but way to much $ for what it is.

If i could get some answers from you guys i would appreate it. do you run a 9-6" or 8-6"?:drinkup:

2. Ezdayman

Ezdayman Junior Member

1514615_10151867707272914_881806107_n.jpg my old plow.. nothing really wrong with it just getting old.

1514615_10151867707272914_881806107_n.jpg

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Don't go smaller unless you need to.

Ploy Plow fades after while.....

Steel rust as you know

SS is my vote

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Want or need?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to PS by the way.

6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

If you get an 8-6 get a set of the western wings to go on it. I have one set up like that and getting another next week.

and welcome to plowsite.

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Its a want..................xysport

Welcome...............:drinkup:

8. Ezdayman

Ezdayman Junior Member

I need a vplow. straight doesnt work for what i need it half the time.. Im just spooked about poly, Something about Plastic and sub zero temps and hitting a curb sounds like a big problem$$ the western dealer keeps saying its the way to go, my V plow is a regular one but he said the wedge would be best.. Im not sure if im getting sold into a Cadillac when all i need is a ford lol. I plow half Commercial and a few Homes.

Thanks again brothers!! ive been on this site for a hour or so and learned some new stuff!!! Thanks!! ill do my best to put my 2 cents in!:drinkup:

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Lets put it reverse for a moment.....

What do you plan on plowing with this new plow???

Why do you need a new plow???

What is a "wedge"???

If your thinking about a plow because the one you have is a little rusty and does not look"cool" on your new truck.....You might wanna take a deep breath and do some thinking.

The first thing you might wanna think aboot is....Are you in this to make money.....Or look Cool......

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Not sure if hitting a curb would be much of an issue with a poly plow, as the blade itself is a steel frame, and I would guess that the curb would hit the frame, no ?

I've yet to see anyone here complain about cracking a mold board, although I'm sure it's happened, somewhere, somehow.

Oh yeah,

Welcome to the loon bin.

Xanax and ludes are at the door.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Cheese of course.:D

12. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

My MVP plus is poly and my new one is going to be poly, no problems with any cracking.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I would get the 9.6".

poly is fine you will have a hard tome hitting a curb with the moldboard, the edge hits first. and ploy doesn't shatter when its cold.

if and that's a big if you break a poly moldboard you would have a huge dent or a hole in steal.
    steel cracks, SS cracks, poly cracks.

14. If you get a new one let me know if you want to get rid of your old one

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Save your money. Run what you've got until you start having problems with it. Why not keep YOUR money in YOUR pocket?

16. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

My Meyer 8-6 ploy is by far my heaviest plow ( you just sit and spin the rear tires in 2 wheel without balast in the bed), and it scrapes and back blades so well, some days I choose it over my Boss V (steel) just because

17. CjBonavenia

CjBonavenia Member

I have a 9-6 mvp3 poly I beat the hell out of it last year no prob with cracking at all and I was not easy on it lol

18. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Is your current plow Unimount, or Ultramount? Were you thinking to replace the 'whole' plow including the truck-side mount, controls, etc, or adapt what you have on the truck-side to a new Western? How long do you think you'll hang onto your truck? Will whatever you have adapt to whatever you get next?

If you keep an eye on Craigslist, I'm starting to see stainless steel plows come up for sale. As they become more popular, more will come up. Check your plow dealers because each fall, commercial plowers often trade in a bunch of plows. Maybe you can get a better deal on a used one. But you might pay 3 5ths of the price of a new one for a plow that is 1/2 worn out. If you want (and can afford) new, why not spend the extra $$ and treat yourself on the new S/S Western? Sure it's more, but if you can swing it, why not? It will look great and work nice, I'm sure. You could always consider a Snowdogg too.

BTW, poly plow moldboards fade too. They get pink and IMO when that happens they look worse than steel plows do and you can't really do much with a faded poly moldboard. But that takes years of outdoor storage. The secret to plow longevity, steel or poly is to wash after use, lube properly and store indoors. All easier said than done.

Lots of options out there. Good luck.

Good luck

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015