1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st storm, good times

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

First job I got to, left side wing broke off. I mean clean off. I had to pick it up off the ground and throw it in the back (it makes for good ballast). Apparently the ears on the short wing piston sheared off, then the only pin holding it couldn't hang on. Going to be $500-$600 to fix I bet. Also lost my plastic weather cover off my plow motor. Plowed with a nine foot offset semi-straight blade with one wing all night.
    Then I backed into a tree (hard) and wrecked my right side dually fender. Oddly enough, it was already cracked, and after years of searching for a cheap replacement, I had JUST bought a pair on Craigslist the night before. Unfortunately, the damage extends into the bedside also.
    Going to work next morning I slid on black ice in our parking lot and smashed hard into a big frozen snowbank. At least the plow was on, so I didn't do any body damage, but it rattled my brains pretty good. And my futile attempts to make the truck stop by pushing the brake pedal out to the front bumper resulted in a blown brakeline. I knew the front ones were getting crusty and planned on changing them at this months inspection. Rear brakes must be out of adjustment because they keep locking up. So I've got no front brakes and too much rear brakes.
    So, that's my first storm, hard-luck story, let's hear yours!

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Appears to be all operator error.

3. Detroitdan

Well, partly operator error, and partly old worn out parts. I will definitely own the tree. The black ice, geez I was going really slow and the lot looked nice and clear. The town had plowed it off nice and it was just black tar, but I guess the sander wasn't on in that corner of the lot. The wing didn't take any hard hit or anything, at least not this year. I'm sure it has sometime over the years, but it's just an old old plow and stuff just breaks, I guess. It's one of the very first 810s ever made.

4. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

now thats funny

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Detroitdan, I see that you are running Interco tires. How they holding up for you? I had the same ones on one of my trucks and the traction was good , but the tread separated from the carcass on two of them. Still had about 60% tread left. I wont buy another set of Interco tires for a work truck. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.

6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I noticed his tires too. I had a set on my summer wheels and had 2 blow outs. Both were replaced with the warranty I bought but I had enough. Both of my tires separated from the tred at the side wall. One was a front tire rolling down the e way in a lifted superduty :dizzy: After 2 blow outs I sold the tires and wheels and started over. My brother had run several sets of swampers with great luck so I thought interco was ok. I won't buy another set either. Sorry to go off topic but I was wonder the same thing.

, shaun

7. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Detroit Dan, I would bet you have a chicken and egg story there. You probably lost, bent sheared your wing pivot pin first, then the only thing holding your wing on was the short pin on the short cylinder, then the end of the cylinder failed and wing was detached.

You need to give attention to the condition of the wing bushing tube, could be egged out and/or cracked, and the slidebox bushing/holes the wing pivot pin goes through. I would bet both need attention, along with a new pivot pin, and some attention to the cylinder rod.

8. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

You mean this happened to you tooo :laughing:

Mine didnt fall off at first. Took a few hours for it to finally break off. FUN. post some pics and i might be able to give you some advice on fixing it since someone ran jerre off.

P1290010resize.jpg

P1280004resize.jpg

9. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

My first snowfall this year went pretty crappy too.

I started at 2:30 AM, which gives me plenty of time to hit all of my night lots, unless of course I break down. I was doing pretty well until I blew a hose at 6:30. I had one more lot to do which really needed to get done. So I called in the reinforcements--my buddy. He shows up at that lot, and 15 minutes into it, he BREAKS THE SAME EXACT HOSE I did. At this point, I was nearly up and running again, and managed to get over there to at least clean things up enough to be passable. Not an hour after I got done with that, I'm plowing my "day route" which is a bunch of apartment buildings. I was on the first one when I caught an edge of asphalt with the right wing, and there goes another hose! At least it was a wing hose. So I finished up the route without the wing, and replaced the hose. I get the hose replaced, and go to try it out....wouldn't you know the damn fitting on the other hose on the same wing is leaking too! Fixed that too. We're supposed to get 2-4" tonight. I really hope the rest of the hoses hang in there!

10. Detroitdan

My Intercos are starting to get worn down, maybe the last season I can get out of them, they're more than half worn. Got about 20-25k on them I guess. Until I waited too long to rotate, they were doing good, but I let it go and ended up chewing up a couple front ones. The idea was to replace two at a time. As for structure, these tires (TrXus MT) have proven to be super tough. I absolutely love these tires, they plow awesome as long as there's ballast over them, better in the snow and ice than any of the A/T type tires I've run in the past, and the wear is acceptable to me since I am notoriously hard on tires. I have pounded them unmercifully, loaded down with the 810 and a sander on back with 2-3 ton of sand on. I've hit some rocks and stuff, never let me down or seen any damage. I've scaled at over 12k many times. Maybe you guys are talking about regular Swampers, those bias tires aren't really meant for fulltime street use, and they won't hold weight as well. Or maybe it's because I've got duals in the back. Or maybe I've been lucky, but I doubt it because I've never been lucky before.
    Speaking of luck, this streak is still going. Got the brakeline fixed, put a 1 ton pallet of pellet fuel in the back then blew a tranny line on the highway. The steel line pulled itself right out of the rubber extension I added with the bodylift. Got that fixed and going again without killing the tranny, but now I can't get the pellet fuel off the truck and into my house because I hurt my back shoveling sand out of the truck to make room for the pallet. So, any guesses as to what I break next?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  11. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

12. Detroitdan

So, I gave my cousin $20 to unload the pellets off my truck for me, then while I had help I decided I'd get my tailgate spreader down out of the garage attic. Swung it out of the second story door of my garage, and as I started to let it down with the chainfall the strap broke, allowing the sander to fall to the ground about 12+ feet. Landed right between my truck and the garage, on a block which prevented the spinner from hitting the ground hard. So I dodged a bullet there too. Sander works fine. Also consider it lucky that my 4 y/o who was in the driveway wasn't close enough to get squashed.

13. Detroitdan

So, if anyones keeping score, I've plowed three times with no left wing, once when the parts were in just sitting in the shop. Finally got my mechanic ot work on it (he stayed late New Years Eve), got it all back together and it wasn't easy. Put it back on the truck, ran it in and out a couple times then the ratty old hose blew. Whole damn wing has to come apart again to replace that line, of course no where to get hoses on the holiday weekend. Wish the heck I'd seen how bad the hoses were and had him change them in the first place. I've changed some hoses here and there over the years, but some of them are apparently still the originals. So, I plowed yesterday with a non-working left wing. I am getting so sick and tired of plowing with what is essentially a straight blade, well the right wing works but the left side of the plow is so short my rear tires are in the snow half the time.

14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Dan,
    This thread makes me :( you have a nice truck. I had to search for years to find a pic of it though.

15. Detroitdan

thanks, I didn't realize there were none in my user cp. Just found a couple on another forum and copied them here so I can change my avatar. I don't have any recent pictures, these ones were before the 3 inch body lift and 5k airbags. It doesn't look like a lowrider anymore. I've also added a 12 head Whelen Edge lightbar with taillights, marker lights and worklights built in, Recently added stainless step bars modified for the bodylift and it's got an A-Team turbo now. It's slowly going through a transformation, I'm replacing and repainting body parts as I go, I've got doors and fenders in the shop now waiting for me to get them painted. Nice thing about black, you can paint it piece by piece.

my.jpg

my1.jpg

16. Detroitdan

OMG I hate how the rear tires are stuffed in that picture. I had some weight on but the rear springs were just worn out. I put Arnott 5000 lb airbags in last winter, and let me assure you the truck does not sit like that anymore. The bodylift got me plenty of tire clearance and the airbags keep the rearend level with 40-50 lbs in them when it's loaded.
    I also ground down and painted that ratty looking plowframe and light tower.

17. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

It's a never ending battle maintaining equipment in this business. If equipment wasn't so damn expensive I'd just trade up every 3 years or so.

18. Detroitdan

I'm way overdue for a replacement truck. I wouldn't buy new, but something 4-6 years old in decent shape is what I usually shoot for. However I'm so poor nowadays I have no choice but to keep fixing this old thing. I've had my eye on an 03 that would be perfect for me, but no matter how I try I can't figure any way to buy it. It's a 3500 crew dually dmax with 62k on it and a Blizzard 810, and it's even the right color. Truck makes me drool. And it's what I think is a pretty fair price.

Just put a new alternator in today, second one since I've owned this truck. Between repairs and mainenance on the truck and plow, I'm already into it for over a grand this season. Which is a huge dent out of my plowing profits. Huge.