1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st snow route

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ranger04style, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ranger04style

ranger04style Junior Member

thats right- my 1st ever, never even driven a truck with a plow... im a landscraper by trade- and the layoffs have been bad this year- so my boss hands me the route today ( all parking lots no residential)... im kind of pumped- so just wanted to say whats up and letting yall know im gonna be doing a lot of searching on this forum... HAPPY WINTER EVERYONE!!!!!!!:cry:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Have fun. And remember there are curbs under that snow!

Welcome to the site.:waving:
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  3. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite. There's alot of great information here and good people too. Have fun this winter plowing,take your time and learn and be safe. Good Luck:waving:
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Since you have never plowed before, Take your route sheet and the truck you will be plowing with and go to EVERY stop during the day (weekends work best because they are usually empty). Look at where you need to start and where you have to put the snow, look for loading docks, curbs, manholes and storm drains (check them for raised edges). Draw a site map and take notes if you think you need to. Then go back and visit the sites in the middle of the night and see how different they look.

Good luck and be safe.
  5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

thats what i do and i keep a photo of all accounts in every truck . hope 2 see ya out and who are you plowing for
  6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Welcome to ps, read and learn! I doubt you will find much help from my post!:waving:

7. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

With all the lake effect snow over there, you should be kept pretty busy!
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I work out of Lakewood mostly and Kash is over in Rocky River, What kind of truck and plow are you running this year and who are you working for. Good Luck and remember to take your time, leave good distance and watch out for the crazies:dizzy: who think they can run out for lunch during a blizzard....:salute:
  9. ranger04style

ranger04style Junior Member

f-350 dump- with salt spreader- And i work for Lifestyle Landscape- and its a big red plow thats all i know
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You may want to find out what kind of plow and sande you will be using and do some research on them so you can fix something if it breaks..
    Be careful and happy plowing.
  11. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Ditto on everything everyone elase said, BUT I will add WEAR your seatbelt always when plowing atleast. You never know what is under the snow and when the blade trips the truck STOPS and with no seat belt you go flying in the cab. trust me it is NO fun what so ever. I learned the hard way. Took it off to answer the phone, then WHAMO manhole cover. Dash meet my face, face meet the dash and windshield...
    Good luck, Safety is job number one..ussmileyflag
  12. Burkartsplow

We dont sand here in Ohio, We are to good for the stuff:jester:
  13. Burkartsplow

Im sure you drive the dump all the time. The mirrors are your best friend. At first I hated plowing in a dump, But after awhile I got used to using my mirrors all the time and I was just as fast as I was in a pickup. Lifestyle. I see you guys around all the time. What lots are you plowing?
  14. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

welcome to plowsite im sure all of us will be some help at some poing weather it will be helpfull information with your plow or helpfull to make the day go by... make sure you check out the "off topic"
    thats where most of us will be
  15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you do that you shouldn't have any prabablems. Good luck!:D And make some money.payup

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

remember its a truck not a bulldozer. treat it like you own it. it not speed that kill its the sudden stop