1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st season plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fitnessmovers, Nov 4, 2003.

1. fitnessmovers

fitnessmovers Junior Member

I've been reading a lot on this site over the last 6 mos. and decided to expand my current business when it gets slower in the winter. I have an '01 F350 Dually 4x4 Crew PSD that I plan on doing residential only for many of my current customers. I plan on either adding a leaf or doing the timbrens. Any opinions? I have a Western 7.5 Unimount Pro. Got a great deal on it as it was only a couple of years old with very little use. What spare parts should I consider keeping in the truck? I'm already aware of the issues about a crew cab PSD with a plow not recommended from Ford. Many around here have them and no issues. Anyway this is a great site with lots of info. Thanks in advance. Opinions welcomed.
  2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Your plow is way to small for your truck. You should have a 8-9ft plow. With your plow angled your truck is wider that the path you will be plowing.
    The truck will be fine plowing other than the turning radius. If you like the ride and current height of the truck go with the timbrens.
  3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Your choice of the proplow is good. Just go to 8'6" model. I have an 8'even on my Chevy dually. it is just barely wide enough at full angle to keep the outside dual from riding in the windrow. Your Ford is about2.5" wider than my older Chevy. You will be miserable with too small a plow. You'll have a mess and get stuck much more.
    The cost difference will come back in sanity maintained.:nod:
  4. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i find my F350 reg cab long bed pick up could be smaller at times. unless your drives are wide open, you may have difficult time maneuvering.

going with a 8.5 or 9 foot blade would be better for your truck as stated, however that would only further reduce your maneuverability on drives.
  5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I agree that you need a larger plow. Also, you will absolutely LOVE the PSD for plowing. Yea, the truck is long, but comfortable. Great for long, straight runs.
  6. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Fitnessmover are you the one i see driving the big gym in a trailer around the beltway
  7. fitnessmovers

Thanks for the info guys. It's appreciated. I already have this plow and will see how it works this winter. I will probably upgrade next year.
    About the Timbrens, do they add additional lift or are they helper springs? I'm looking for additional height to level the truck as well as help offset the weight of the plow when on. I love the truck and want to do everything in order to keep it mechanically sound.
    Hey Ed, the guy with the gym on wheels is not me. I move,deliver or assemble gym equipment all over. Barbell logos on my trucks. I've never run into that guy but I see his trailer often. Must be doin' ok. I guess. In what area do you work? I plan on starting my plowing biz in Montg. County.
  8. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

personally i'd sell that blade and get a bigger one... but if your gonna use it with that dually be careful cause your gonna be running in your own windrows
  9. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Yeah i saw the truck on the way to work this morning, they are called fitness fleet. I do all my work in Montgomery and PG county. I may have some work to send your way if your interested. Its commercial work And yes def. get a bigger blade listen to these guys as they really know what they are talking about
  10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

The 7.5ft plow is way to small for the truck, since you will be using it i suggest a set of pro wings to extend it a little. Timbrens are one of the best upgrades you can make to a plow truck:)
  11. fitnessmovers

Are the wings available at any Western dealer and can I install them myself? BTW, my local western dealer won't install my plow as I didn't by it from them. It's not like I wanted it done for free. Any suggestions as to who in my area (Rockville) will install? soon.
  12. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

If you have some space and a few hours I would consider installing it yourself. Dealers may not want to do it since its used, and parts may be missing, or not the correct application- they would be off on the timing. Doing the install yourself is a good way to learn about how everything fits and works, that way when its broken you know what you need. I'm installing my new Meyer this weekend between taking in the kids soccer and volleyball games for the kids.

I think the International Dealer at the Airpark is a Western dealer. I haven't been by there in a few months but I think I remember seeing a Western banner out there. A small shop may take it on an hourly basis- small independent, but that could get pricey since you'll be paying for head scratching time.

Good Luck
  13. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

With that size truck you should have a nice big plow.
  14. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

As others said DON'T PUT THAT PLOW ON THAT TRUCK ! I realize you already bought it. Sell it, put it in the classified section, sell it, and get a 8.5 or a 9' plow. that truck will be miserable plowing with a small plow. Your rear wheels will be compacting the snow outside of the plow width, making it much harder to plow. Don't do it!:nono:

EXPGMEDIC Junior Member
    from INDIANA

hey fitness try automotion on randolph rd if they are still in buisness larry sr or jr will be glad if they are still there been 5 years since been in md now in indiana good luck
  16. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

You might want to extend the blade 6" on each side. There was a thread on how to do this a year or so back.
  17. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

18. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

I have a 94' F-250 SRW with an 8' Meyer on. I'm transferring it over to my 2000 Ram 2500 also SRW. At times I wish that I had a bigger plow, and my trucks are smaller than yours. The best thing that I could suggest is to just buy at least an 8' 6" blade and mount it on your current setup. Just make sure that your truck doesn't sag too much in the front or it will definately cause problems when you are plowing.:nod:

Meadowbrook Landscaping