1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st Post (Lookimg for F250) (few Questions) (Great websit)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TNSnowMan2224, Mar 29, 2015.

1. TNSnowMan2224

TNSnowMan2224 Junior Member

Hello Snow movers,
    My name is Chris Williams.
    Live in Johnson city TN
    We get 3 good snows per year each drop 2-8in.
    I'm in the mowing business/landscaping

Finally got an F150 last year to pull 3 scag trailer so this year sur-passed 50 accounts I've bought a sno-way26 7.6 for it (driveway plow)
    Added leveling kit (pics to come)

1st. Looking for F250 white 4x4 under 150k miles
    I want this to be a commercial/back up truck with a 29r series on it. Anybody seen one?

2nd. Im going to price per hour at 60 then per bag salt (buy $10 per bag for easy math)
    Price 15.00 spread
    Guesstimating 60+ 30 $90 per hour
    Good plan?
    Lastly.
    How to approach McDonald's/cooperate? Or is that time wasting be they are cheap

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What year F250? Pay close attention to the manifolds, known for broken studs. Most fast food chains want you to carry a large liability policy and anything open 24/7 is a pain. As for your prices can't help since I don't know your market but your mark up on salt seems low.

3. TNSnowMan2224

Anyway to move this to new to industry

4. TNSnowMan2224

Have thought the same thing on mark up but good to gain 365 business in my opinion as a prop in my favor
    2002-2005 F250

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

get a chevy stay away from fords

6. TNSnowMan2224

I like my Ford Trucks.
    I have a corvette love that too.

Does the crowd leave once it gets hotter?

7. kimber750

Few diehards hang out of the summer.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You may have to bend on the F-250/Sno-way combo unless you plan to put a new plow it.
    Personally I'd use the F-150 as a back up rig and a heavy truck as the designated plow truck.

9. TNSnowMan2224

I believe snoway 26-29 are interchangeable on the harness so indeed I could do that. But first I have to find me another truck
    A 2dr. 4x4 white is apparently hard to find

Any advertising tips? Or just do a good job as in mowing and let the calls come in

10. kimber750

Start with your current customers. Maybe try to figure a monthly charge that they pay year round that will cover mowing and snow removal.

11. TNSnowMan2224

I like that, some costumes I agree would benifit as much me
    Check out some other post I have in new to industry
    I want to help myself gain some knowledge and help others

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have seen many of them, very popular, dependable unit with great snow moving capability.

Check our facebook page for pictures.

??? He's talking about a new plow, a 29R as opposed to the plow he has on the F-150 which is a 26 series.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  13. TNSnowMan2224

Correct basher

14. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Watch craigslist within 4 hours of you, eventually something will pop up. Get a 05 preferably, 05 ford switched to a coil spring front end, WAaaaaay tighter turning radius that leaf spring front ends.

15. TNSnowMan2224

This is the truck I might pursue
    I'll post a picture today. Only thing is it's a manual
    But does. Have dump bed, multiple uses for me
    Opinions please
    http://m.freedomfordlincoln.com/Tri-Cities/For-Sale/Used/Ford/F-350/2005-XL-White-Truck/38210877/

Thanks.
    Chris Williams

16. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

This will probably start a controversy but my first plow truck was a manual, I haven't bought a manual ever since then. My plow trucks are all auto. Easier, and no more replacing clutches. Manuals are also slower in reverse then a auto. All in all my personal vehicles are manuals, my plow trucks are auto.

17. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

So in order here is how I see all this, keep in mind I'm no genius.

Use the F250 as the front line truck, its built to handle more. Like other have said shoot for around 05-07 for the coil spring also as with anything they improved the gas motors in the later years. Those coil spring front ends are known for 'death wobble' but it doesn't hit ever truck, and is fixable.

I'm not a huge Snoway fan, but I don't know a lot about them. A lot of guys run um up here but that's what they sell in town. Like any equipment buying a plow is a large part about dealer support. Things will break and when they do you need the know how to deal with it yourself and/or a dealer who will back you up. Even if you do it all yourself you need a dealer who will stock parts and not bend you over on them.

For advertising, it depends what your getting into. The easiest thing is add it to the sign on the side of your truck, and card ect..

Word of mouth is the best adverting out there, but the 2nd best is a potential customer seeing your ad (truck/card/sign) at the time.

18. TNSnowMan2224

Bought F350 4dr 4x4 manual dump bed
    2005 v10
    Thanks for info man
    Already added to magnet
    Throwing up website soon then I'll upload some pics