1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st post; advice on maximum drivetime

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by pancakes55, Oct 2, 2014.

1. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

Hello all,

Just joined! Wondering what is the maximum one way drive time you guys recommend or would do yourself? I am looking at a property 40 min away. Its large, and I need the $$$ (wife expecting) but I don't want to get burned.

Lots size: 6 acres. Long and skinny. Several building but mostly pushing. No fancy or clean up plowing, just push main parts into 3 snow dumps. Owner (nonprofit) will detail out with bobcat.

Drivetime: 40 min one way (30 min highway 65 mph, 10 min city in summer)
    Realistically I will never do 65 in winter in a storm. So probably drive time would be 1 hr.

Distance: 30 miles one way

Truck and plow both financed. Truck is a 2006 6.0 diesel f350 dually. Crew cab, long flatbed (huge) with 1 season old Fisher XLS. Weight ~15000 lbs. Ave mpg is about 8 in winter.

Ill crunch #s for this tmr and post my results and and overhead view of the property. I might consider a sub for this area. But reliable subs are hard to find

Thank you
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't put yourself in a bigger hole ,stay close to home, When is the wife due?
  3. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

Due in march but it'll likely be earlier. So yes, right in plow season. lol

GV, would you say 40 min 30 miles is too far? I am leaning against this job. Too little too far without the drive. Seems like a run like hell when considering the drive.

heres my post about this job:
    It has detailed property pictures

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For that amount your better off sticking close to home and pick up a dozen driveways for the same amount
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Nice job on detailing out the property Thumbs Up

A couple things come to mind....
    It's difficult to monitor a property that far from home unless you have a webcam set up or someone close by it that you can rely on for weather status.
    Using the cost / plow time detail in your other post, windshield time, cost of fuel to and from the site you'll end up working for about $35.00 an hour.
    Est $287.00 per push
    Plow time, Est 5hrs
    Total windshield time, 2hrs
    80 miles @ 8mpg X $4.00 a gallon

Also being gravel it's going to suck until the ground freezes which just adds to wear and tear on the plow/truck.

I agree with GV, a tight resi's route can get you into $100.00 plus per hour, less headaches, easier to manage and easier on you/ your equipment.

My furthest is 20 miles, all county roads, I have accounts along the way and there's a DOT webcam a mile away which helps me monitor the weather.
  6. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

Yes, the monitoring is something I though about. Driving there in a plow truck just to take a look will leave a guy broke. They have staff there from 7 am but calling to "how deep is the snow" is unprofessional and unreliable.
    I like the 1 acre/hr/truck but with this was figuring about 5hrs to 5.25 as my truck is a heavy beast. Maybe 5 hrs in a 3/4 ton.
    Sub rate around here is 50 to 60/hr. My cost for plowing that would be about 250-300 so the number don't really add up. My furthest away on contract was 18 mi away last year but on good city roads.
    Thank you for the input
  7. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

What the best place to look up snow fall history for a place? Like monthly, seasonal depth, etc. I am in a small town (2 years) but lived about 50 mi away and have a pretty good idea of snow is like there.
    Snowfall is different in both areas. Airports nearby. I've check NOAA and weather underground but where else for the detailed info?
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014