1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1ST Plowing season/Modified Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by aviatortom, Feb 10, 2010.

1. aviatortom

aviatortom Junior Member

Hello All, I have been scanning this website for the last couple months. I have recently purchased a Northman 6 foot plow and after 1ST storm(paid it off half way payup ) I decided to modify to more proper plow configuration...

There was a 3rd cylinder which tripped way to easily(pnuematic system) so I replaced mount position down an entire foot and put two actual plow springs on for substitution along with fabricating back stops...

Hope to test it out one more time here in Oklahoma!

I do lawn and landscape full time which is why I decided to meet the needs and expand my winter services...

I also fabricated my own lights for the plow.

Here are the pics...

IMG_0583.JPG

2. aviatortom

aviatortom Junior Member

Up close of modifications

IMG_0581.JPG

3. aviatortom

aviatortom Junior Member

Truck as a whole...I permanently added LED strobe lights facing front and rear up on top of truck which work really well then a magnetic strobe during snow fall...

IMG_0580.JPG

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If you have customers depending on you- sell that plow and get somethig else. The local dealer sold me off of buying one of those due to all the problems. Sounds like you've already started having them as well.

5. aviatortom

aviatortom Junior Member

The only problem I had was the fact that it was tripping every time I pulled forward...I have completely eliminated that problem by lowering the position to normal plows and adding the springs...

I plowed with it for 16 hours and never had anything malfunction such as to the actuating cyclinders/structural integrity...

With only 3 storms per season max I don't need anything heavy duty.

Just thought I'd post these modifications in case someone else was searching for a Northman plow fix and wanted to make the plow functional for a very low cost...

6. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

your kiddin me ... is that piston just hanging there with a chain attached ??..:eek:

7. aviatortom

aviatortom Junior Member

I lowered the blade mount/hinge point so that the blade wouldn't be pushed from the top(too much leverage on part of the snow to trip the blade)...Notice the open holes at the top of the blade. This is were the engineers went wrong which is why I got a decent price on it.

Therefore the lower position allowed the chain to be utilized just like all the other plows and the western pictured below...instead being mounted upwards the piston is mounted downwards and works just as well since two chains aren't required to lift a 175 pound blade...

This way the blade can float and contour to terrain change just like every other heavy duty plow does...

control_chainlift.jpg

8. lepermessiah189

lepermessiah189 Junior Member

whats the point of the springs? the way the blade is attached it looks like the springs are usless, idk how the blade trips

9. aviatortom

aviatortom Junior Member

To fully show how much different I have designed this plow I annotated the close up...

The red circles are where it use to mount.

The grey box is where the 3RD no longer used cylinder use to mount which tripped to easily

annotated.jpg

10. aviatortom

aviatortom Junior Member

:whats the point of the springs? the way the blade is attached it looks like the springs are usless, idk how the blade trips:

Thats a good question from the pic...The plow trips just like all other plows.

In the yellow boxed region is no attachment and is only a stop to keep the plow in the stopped/normal position then it trips forward when an obstacle is hit.

The matching color makes it hard to see...

trip annotation.jpg

11. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

To define a good piece of equipment, i'd say it should meet your needs, and meet your budget. If this does both then good job, and good luck. Sometimes, a fullsize plow really isn't a need just a want.

12. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

it looks like a double acting piston.... why would you not use it as such ? fab a couple ears on the bracket
    behind the piston rod and connect it... then you'll have down pressure. the way you have it now is a disaster waiting to happen..... you obviously dont get much snow or that thing would be all tore up...
    that thing belongs on a big red......

13. aviatortom

aviatortom Junior Member

I thankyou for that comment...If if could get a used meyer/fisher/sno-way that was used for $2000 or less all the way to Oklahoma I would have but went with this one, innovated and am making the highest profit/cost margin than of any other business tool I've purchased in the last 9 years. and that's without the above modifications.

Have fun...
    Tom

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Those plows are almost $2000 if I remember correctly and use air for the pistons which is why they have so many problems. My $1200 Snowbear was built 100x stronger than those (which isn't saying much) and would've handled your 3 storms just fine- I plowed with it for almost 2 years in snow as deep as 16" (more at the driveway base).

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Don't let some people burst your bubbleor bash your plow
    As long as the plow does what you want and the mods work for you then GREAT.
    Good luck the rest of the season

16. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Neat idea, never thought of using air. Good luck with it. BTW, I like the clear corners/signals on your truck.

17. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

been there when the plow covers the lights
    guess u fixed that problem haha

18. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Looks real nice. If it works for you thats great. Dont let others tell you otherwise.