1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st plow... this setup sound right?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by z71Worker, Nov 8, 2004.

1. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

Hello everyone, thanks for reading my plea for help..

My truck: 2004 Chev 1500 Reg Cab Long Box Z71, snow prep pckg, hd trailering pkg and springs..

Situation: Closing on our 1st home.. 300ft GRAVEL driveway.. In the boonies..

- Dealer wants to install a Snow Way - MT90 7.5ft Poly or Steel with handheld for $3,150.00.. This is without the "downforce thingy" which i thought i wouldnt want due to gravel driveway..

sound right? got any other ideas?

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I cant see wanting downforce on a gravel drive? Although the snoway plows are lite so thats a plus. Snoway makes pretty good plows as does western and fisher and blizzard and boss. What else is sold local? Keep with a plow that is 600# or less or so. Put ballast in the bed regardless of if you need to or not. Put it behind the rear wheels and secure it.

3. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

with the amount of dealers in the area, im pretty sure i could get any plow out there, i know we have a west. and meyer guy close also.. light is the key for me since in 1/2 ton and not gonna make a lot of "new friends" with the plow.. I personally never heard of this brand plow before..

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

JMO but stay away from meyers. Go with a good dealer first and formost. I really like the western and fisher brand. For the amout you will do it dosnt matter much. Most Co.s make plows that drop off real easy. I know they aint BSing when they call the fisher a "minute mount" Snoway is a good plow though. Many scoff at thier "plastic" moldboard but have never ran one. Snoway is "cheap" and "junk" becasue they use a lexan moldboard but boss or western or who ever is brilliant because the use a poly moldboard :confused:? Explain that to me??? Just nod and smile when someone tells you snoway is junk if they have never used on ;)

You really wont go wrong regardless IMO with a boss, western, fisher, snoway, blizzard. I seem to like a tripedge for gravel but I really dont know why(or if) it makes a differnce? :confused: I have only ran 1 tripedge and that is my fisher on my new truck. Fisher is a tripedge plow BTW. All I know is my fisher dosnt dig into gravel as bad as the other full trip blades I have ran.....I dont think the angle of attack is much different but???

If its an option though get shoes for your blade!!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd think that's a little high. They're advertising a Boss 7.5' for $2995 up here. Check out the Fisher Homesteader or Western Suburban if, in fact, you will only be doing your own driveway. Snoway makes a good plow, so not knocking them, either. Just think $3100 is a little high for your needs

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go with the downpressure if I were you. It is needed for backdragging. Also, if the gravel drive freezes, you can run with the downpressure on and not dig in to the drive, but scrape the snow much better with downpressure. Go for the poly edge. Again, it is more forgiving on the gravel and the best part is it is nice and quiet.