1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st Plow Now Need Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 4-Seasons, Dec 5, 2010.

1. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

Been doing residentals homes the past 2 seasons with blower and shovels. We just got our first plow this season. Only have one commercial property so far, but we are getting calls for proposals for plowing. how do you manage the properties? Do you plow it at 2inches then do some residentals and come back, or do you wait till storm is over? Cant figure out how to manage the time to do residentals and commercials. 2 man crew.
  2. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I'd say you should plow with the storm and go back,it be easier on your truck. As for the commercials,it depends on what their hours of business are. A place open twenty four hours is going to need more perpetual care then one that is closed at night. Same with residentals ,you may have to go and plow them open and go back when the driveway is free of vehicles. plowking
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

make a route and then plow as the customer wants done. some have different triggers
  4. novasnowplower

novasnowplower Member

Plow with the storm.. What are your priority Clients?
  5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

There is no tried and true method of figuring it out. It's largely based on the customer's needs and the storm itself. I have commercial accounts that are closed on Sat and Sun so as long as I get them cleaned up before 6AM Monday morning I'm good. I also have plowed 24 hour gas stations that will blow up your phone if there is more than 1.5" on the lot, so you could be there multiple times for one snowfall. The key is to 1:Get on the same page as your customer and understand their needs and what they expect, 2: Determine if you're capable of filling those needs, you won't do yourself any favors biting off more than you can chew, 3:Bid the job making sure your butt is covered and you'll be making money while still fulfilling the customer's needs and expectations. 4: Don't under bid....it'll be a long, miserable winter.