1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st and last Dodge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Jan 2, 2001.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Added a Dodge 2500HD with V10, has all the right options posi-track, plow prep, HD service pkg, etc. The last storm turned to rain after about 8", HEAVY. The outside temp rose to about 40. My GM, both have 8.5 EZ-Vs,equipped with 454, and about the same options as the Dodge plowed no problem.
    The Dodge started running hot when it was worked, and in no time the trans overheat light came on. Put it neutral and revved the engine till it cooled. Finished plowing in low range. Besides the Dodge is 20 percent harder on fuel, and doesn't have the down low power of the GM.
    I'm going to try adding an electric fan over the trans cooler on the Dodge as it sits well out of the air stream from the fan.
    Anybody got any other suggestions?

Bill

2. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

A Ford?

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Second that one

Geoff

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Seems to me if the GM's worked for you, you already have your answer!!!

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees...

Sell the Dodge, Buy GM

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

It would be pretty costly to give up on the truck already. I would see if you can either find a small fan to go on the tranny cooler, and/or get a better cooler. B&M Makes good ones, all the way up to around 25,000 GVW.

Secondly, You may want to get an electric, thermostaticly controlled fan for the front side of the radiator if you don't already have one.

Last ditch effort, maybe go pick up a 180-degree or 160-degree thermostat. I'm pretty sure I have a 160-degree one in my truck, never runs hot, and I still have plenty of heat.

Good luck!

Oh, check out http://www.summitracing.com ... they have trans cooler, and a pretty good selection of fans.

-Tim

6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Plow in low range w/ a Dodge, especially a V10.

Newer Dodge transmissions don't have the strongest reputation and 450 ft. lbs. of V-10 Torque on a warmer day is going to cook it.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

How did you get heat with a 160 stat? I had one for a few years and it would never heat up enough to keep the wipers from freezing up. Switched to a 180 and all is well.

Might want to try a frame mounted trans cooler with an electric fan. My Dad has one on his 'Burban and its always on, that with original internal radiator and external factory cooler, plus this one! Overkill to the extreme, but he does a lot of heavy towing.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge has a revised fan for your truck with plow package which will draw air at lower temps. Hunch is, you do not have the updated fan clutch.

9. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

NSmilligan,

Have to agree with Bill. Sounds like your clutch fan isn't workin right. I can't get ENOUGH heat out of my Dodge.

Dave

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sell it now while you can get your money back ou of it and before you go broke filling it up at least twice a storm. We have had one since '94 in a one ton and can't keep a tranny in it for more than a year. Dodge is going to have to change a lot of things before I will buy another one.

11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks

I'll try to find out about the updated clutch fan, also I'm going to mount a 12" electric in front of the tranny cooler, with a switch. I think that will help.

Glad I have the plow pkg with the Trans temp light it would be some easy to cook the transmission.

Bill

12. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

13. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Hot tranny

Nsmilligan,

Ever think maybe the GM's tranny's were just as hot, but don't have the "overheat light" to tell ya. Just thinkin out loud...

Dave

14. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

my friend has a 94 dodge with the v10 loaded 8.5 diamond 180,000 not 1 tranny prob. The tranny problem are driver neg on the gas motors but the cummings are tuff on thier trannys. On my 96 ram the only problem I had was at 63,000 the fuel pump went on it. Your fan cluch must be gone, it could happen to any ford or gm as well.

15. cowboy

cowboy Member

well anything can happen on any truck the point is how many miles till it does that.

By The way, Turbo 350 in my Chevy, just rebuilt for first time, honest to god, 331,600 miles.

by another GM of similiar year.

cowboy

16. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I recently put a Hypertech chip in my 87 Silverado, & it "required" a 160 thermostat. Have no problems with heat, except when my temp. selector cable broke on cooler setting. I had to unbolt the glove box (30 sec.) & manually turn it to hot setting & leave it there. No heater problems; when I had a 195 thermostat in it I would usually have to turn it from hot to med. to keep from getting heat stroke!

17. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Cowboy, the turbo 350 and 400 were graet tranny's but they do not make them any more. they ended in 87 when they stopped making the 3 speed. The ford c6 was great too but thier gone as well as the 727 for dodge. Some things change for the worse

18. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Thats the thing I dont get-the Dodge auto is the 727 with an OD unit behind it,thats why the selector has D21 and the OD is on the dash or shifter,its electronic.The 727 had a great track record,and the the same tranny with an OD unit gets a bad rap because the tranny cooler lines and the no flow in Park are what kill this tranny,its a solid unit-I know some people have had problems with them time after time,which is unfortunate,but i like them and trust them for plowing.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 01-04-2001 at 05:17 PM]

19. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

727 w/ OD up 'til 92.

That V-10 Trans with the plentary drives doesn't even resemble a 727.

20. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have my Dean's transmision book right here,almost all the parts are the same,are you talking about the OD unit's planetarys?