1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1st 4x4 - Dodge 1500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Smitty58, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I got the bug to buy a 4x4. So I traded my F-150 for a Ram 1500. It is a 2000 quad cab , 5.2 ,auto ,loaded. The only thing I don't like about it is the wimpy tires and exhaust. I will be adding some duals and bigger tires. What size are you guys running on your Rams without lifting them? Also besides the dual exhaust what are some simple (cheap) things I can add to my new toy?

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Tires..275/75/R16 / Nurf bars / Vent visors / Spray in bedliner > Line-X ... SNOw plow :D Boss Super duty.

3. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

Tinted windows
    XM Radio
    Maybe a decal from awesomedecals.com

4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

1500 stuff

I too thought ventvisors were unnecessary. They came with my '94 (used), now I'm probably getting them for '03. They're great for stopping drips on your electrics etc. when you need some ventilation. As windows often do when plowing. Tinting sucks when you're plowing at night, worse with dirty windows. If you're going to spray bed think about fixing bed scratches first rather then sealing it in. Rust never sleeps!;)
    I went with shorty headers and a dual cat back system on my 318. Nice:D HP gain. My 318 had a useless manifold. Get some heavy duty rubber floormats. Get rid of Mopars' stereo, even my '03 CD is wimpy:( .
    Smitty, tell us what you do for a living? Carpenter? Contractor? Excavator? Landscaping? Desk Jockey?;) Do you do much off-roading?
    Then we can tell ya what toys to put on your Tonka

HEY KIPCOM! Your sander wouldn't happen to be the Sand Pro 1875 would it?

5. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

JElmWin- thanks, I work fulltime at a paper mill. I started a lawn care part time biz last year and I'm planning on doing some residential snow plowing with my quadrunner. I would like to hear from you guys with Ram 1500 's about putting a plow on it. I haven't done 4 wheeling except with the quad ,of course I haven't had a 4x4 to do 4 wheeling with until now. I would like to add some dual's or headers to my truck. I would also be interested in any other performance enhancing add ons. I do pull a 30' travel trailer so any extra horsepower would be nice.
    Thanks in advance for the tips.

6. moosey

moosey Senior Member

I have a 2001 quad cab 1500 4x4. And tinted windows suck. I can't plow with them. It drives me nuts.

Don't tint windows if thinkin of plowing.

Try ajetchip for increase on the 5.2.. I putone in my truck which has a 5.9 and it works awesome.

What ever you do don't take the cat off or gut it out. The engine won't last without it. But you can do a dual exhaust with it.

Ventvisors are awesome too!

And, Yes do get some good rubber floor mats.

Good Luck!

7. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

1500 stuff

I suggested "shorty" headers because you don't need to remove the cat to install them.;)

8. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

You will need the extra HP to pull that 30' trailer. I have a 19' trailer and don't like the way my 318 pulls it. I wouldn't go any smaller then the 360 next time.

I have my windowns tinted on my plow truck and no problem .......... mind you I live in a small town and don't deal with any traffic like you guy's in the city. I'd imagin if I lived in the city I'd think twice about getting tinted windows.

9. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Claverack, NY Pop. 1601 (2000 census) Who said anything about a city? Being labled "city" is INSULTING to us farm boys. :angry:
    I'd never say anything bad aboot;) Canada. The Mrs. and I vacation there every year.
    Back to business. I never had any issues hauling (1 ton+) or towing (cars, trucks, trailers etc.) with my '94 318. Once I installed my shorties and dual catback it had plenty of power.

10. SWH Enterprises

SWH Enterprises Junior Member

I have a 97 crew with the 5.2. Forget the jetchip. Go with the mopar performance ecm. Much better gains. I run extreme flow cats with flowmaster 40's. This truck is loud and very aggressive. Also look into the tranny shift kit. really hits hard from first to second at 5500rpms. Tires burnin right off the rims! Now as far as a plow, get a SnoWay- my opinion the best plow for this application.

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

DO NOT get the Jet chip, if your going to spend the money there are 3 ways to go, Mopar PCM, Superchips or Hypertech. The shift kit is a good idea also APS Precision sells real good ones.

12. tuna

tuna Senior Member

How do you have a Crew Cab 97?:confused:

13. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

Hope you didn't take me the wrong way bro. ........ it was just a friendly comment.

What are these ?? exhaust upgrades ?

Can I get links & or more infro. about these upgrades ?

Thanx Filer

14. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

As far as tires go I'm running 265/70r16 bf Goodrich radial t/a

15. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Headers etc.

:waving: Hey Filer!
    Headers and "cat-back" are exhaust modifications. Headers replace your stock manifolds. Manifolds combine all exhaust as soon as it leaves the engine causing more back pressure, less power etc. Headers keep each cylinder's exhaust separate until it reaches the Catylitic converter. Traditional headers required you to remove the cat . "Shorty" headers allow you to keep it. "Cat-back" systems allow you to replace the remaing stock exhaust. Some allow you to go to dual exhaust. These systems are also designed for less B.P., increased resonance (roar) and better looks.
    For more info do searches on Headers or Cat-back exhaust.
    You can also check out some of the Dodge truck performance forums:
    http://www.dodgetrucks.org/
    http://dtw.truckmoxie.com/
    A word to the wise. If you do go with headers go with a quality brand (Gibson)and think about getting them ceramic coated. Plow trucks kick up alot of road salt and this will cause inferior brands (flo-tech) to rust quickly.
    Best of luck!
    John