1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1spd or 2spd skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by DirtyJerzey, Dec 2, 2010.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

What do most of you have for skids. All the skids we use are 1spd. Im looking at buying a new S300 bobcat that I can get a great deal on. Issue is that it is 1spd. Some guys I know say theyve never had anything other then 1spd for snow, others say you would be a fool to get a 1spd. Personally myself all the times we use skids are in smaller lots or doing driveways in HOAs, I picked up 2 larger (not huge) shopping centers. Basically all of the lanes are 18-20 parking spots long. What have been your experiences

2. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Without a doubt 2 speed.
    Night and day difference.

3. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

my next one will have it.

4. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

biggest issue is finding a used 2spd is few and far between and buying new its a huge price difference

5. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Absolutely 2 speed unless you can fid a 3 speed (I wish) or are a really bad operator. If you are good, even a 2 speed seems slow.

6. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

2 speed.. and run a slightly larger tire for increased plow speed. Our LS180 can run about 15mph!

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I will NEVER own a single speed skid again. Once you run a 2 speed in snow you will never go back.
    Robert

8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

We had a storm over the weekend and it was my first experience with a two speed in the five years I have been plowing.

I had one of my close friends (and best operators) in the machine and he managed to shave about 30% off the typical times at each location that he visited. I imagine that the time savings will increase as he gets more seat time in the two speed.

He was using my pusher and I was amazed watching him. We have one site that is four acres of wide open asphalt and he blasted through it. He had it done in half the time that it took us last year. We added two more accounts this year and still finished two hours ahead of our normal route time that we had last year.

I certainly won't be putting that pusher on a single speed machine ever again!

If you can afford it, definitely get a two speed. If they are not very popular in your area, make the drive to get one. You will certainly make you money back if you bid your jobs right. Heck, I'm gonna make an extra grand per storm if things keep going like this!

9. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

that's an easy one 2 speed just like everyone else says you will never go back

10. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Single speed is too slow for any productivity. 2-speed all the way.

11. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Agreed, 2 speed is the way to go. You make back the price difference in a hurry.

12. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

If the areas you are doing are very tight one speed is "ok". Two speed is well worth the money, unless you are paid per hour.:rolleyes: I am going to be using my one speed to load salt next year and buying a new S250 2 seed to replace it.

13. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

A lot of times you'll get more per hour with a 2 speed anyways.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

First you say it's a new machine, then you say "finding a used 2 speed is few and far between".............

There's a reason the S300 w/o 2 speed is cheap, the dealer already knows not many want it. You'll face the same thing at resale time.

Unless the machine was 10K less, I wouldn't personally buy it. But I've run 2 speed or probably 7 years.

15. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

If you can afford it 2 speed without a doubt