1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

19991 f250 shifter question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by james.j.smith, Nov 13, 2011.

1. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

before the other day, when I moved the shifter on the column to drive it would indicate I was in neutral on the dash even though i was in drive. last year I checked the adjustments on the steering column but wasn't able to get in any better. I just lived with it and but other people that drove my truck complained about it.

not it's not working at all, again I could probably live with it but It would be nice to fix. It looks like its a white plastic coated wire that runs form behind the dash to the strreing column connectors. The wire looks to be broken by the steering column.

has anyone done this repair before? how hard is it? what is that wire called? tried to get it at autozone last night and they looked at me like i had ten heads
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I think it the gear indicator???? The metal wires wrap around the coloum and clip to the plastic. Not a super hard job, but takes time to get it right. Not sure if autozone would have that kinda part, maybe the dealer or ebay or napa? hope it helps
  3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Look underneath the column. Lay on the floor and look up. Might take a monute to find but your looking for a white dial in a black bracket. This is your slack adjuster. turn it one way or the other and it will tighten it up. I have to do this on mine about every 18 months or so. I hate the selctor not being right. Just a pet peeve of mine.
    To get it right I put the truck in neatrul "BLOCK THE WHEELS OBVIOUSLY" and then adjust it until its centered on the N. This should fix your problem.
  4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I don't know about that old of a F150, but I have changed out several shift indicators in early to mid and late 00s econoline vans. The loop at the end that attaches to the shift lever will break and cause the indicator to stay in the 1st or low position. Their not a real bad job to replace, the hardest part is actually finding the new part. Try the dealer first.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You might luck out and find it at a Ford dealer. I doubt it, they will say it's obsolete. Best bet is pull a part or a junk yard.