1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Superduty 5.4 no start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mark Erpelding, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

Went computer shopping the other day when I came out and tried to start my Superduty all I got was 1 click when I engaged the starter. I found the problem to be the battery wire at the starter had come loose. I just removed it wire brushed it to clean the corrision off and replaced it. Lucky for me it was a nice day, just after 2 days of plowing. I had tools with me, was back going in about 45 min. Both front and rear plows were on the truck, would have been tough to tow! Hope this helps someone and saves you some $$$$$

2. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I had a similiar problem with my Superduty. I put some dialectric(sp?) grease on the connections. They still corrode quickly.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

ford has a connection problems at the starter when you get a replacment starter the give you a new pigtail wire because of corrosion.you should cut off the old connector and a few inches of wire and replace it

cardoctor

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have also come across a few super dutys having intermittant no starts due to slighty loose battery terminals.One more thing to check,so it won't let you down when you need it.

5. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

I checked the battery connections first, thanks to an article I read on plowsite. What a great way to keep fellow plowers on the job and out of the shop.

6. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Cleaning the starter connection has always been on the Fall maintenance list. I clean it every year before the snow hits.