1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Silverado, will it overheat??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mike0955, Oct 6, 2007.

1. mike0955

mike0955 Junior Member

Hey guys, I just picked up a 1999 silverado 1500 extended cab with a 7.5 western unimount plow on it. I had to drive it about 20 miles with the plow on yesterday and I had to keep the plow only a couple inches off the ground to keep the truck from overheating. Will I have the same problem when the weather gets cold? I have always plowed with a 1996 powerstroke ford and have never had a heating issue even with the plow all the way up. If its going to be a problem, I am going to sell the truck and buy another ford. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    Mike

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hot

sounds like you need the hd fan clutch .

3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Fan clutch is a common enough problem in the Chevy/GMC stable. Replace the clutch and you're good to go.

I found mine runs significantly cooler just by angling the plow full angle either way and running it full height...the only time my temp goes higher than without the plow is when I climb an extended length hill or work it harder in some other way.

5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Were you running down the highway with the plow on or just around town? If it was the highway then yes I can understand it getting hot. Around town in the winter you shouldnt have any problems. I never did on my 01 HD. I always traveled between jobs with the blade straight and fully raised.

6. mike0955

mike0955 Junior Member

Well I live out in the boonies so it can be 10-15 miles of 55mph travel between plow jobs. It seemed to get hotter running 55 than it did running 30mph in town.

7. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Fan Clutch. Had to do it on my 2500HD.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Oh man, welcome to the only flaw on Chevys. The trucks sit so low that the blade blocks the grill. I have been trying to find a fan setup for behind the grill of my truck to use as a pusher fan to help push air to the stock fan. I havent found anything yet, see if you can view this though, this is what I have gotten out of people so far, hope it helps, I know it won't much though.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174708