1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Ranger...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fortywinks, Aug 24, 2009.

1. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

Before hijacking the thread over plow choice here is the info I am asking. Looking at buying a 1999 Ranger 4X4 ext.cab 4.0 V-6 as a driveway truck and backup. Can I mount a 7.6 BOSS V-plow to this thing if I put timbrens in the front and some ballast in the rear? I'm looking for GVWR etc and am asking the experts (that's you guys). I'm familiar with BOSS therefore that's what I would prefer but nothing is an absolute. What do I need to really check over before buying this vehicle. I think it has about 96,000 miles. Thanks

KB

2. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Short answer....No. And this is coming from a guy that plows with an F150 commercially(some guys won't consider anything less than 3/4 ton truck for any plowing). I wouldn't go any heavier than the 7.6 Sport Duty Plow and that is pushing it for a Ranger. Boss also has a 7' version of the plow that is a little lighter.

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

No way you could put a 7.6 V Plow on that truck. I know you think that timbrems andweight will help you. But there was a guy on site who put together a Chevy Colorado. His biggest issue was never having traction. So even if you could set up truck to hold weight. it couldnt push it. Your truck with just spin tires and go sideways

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68615&highlight=Colorado

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  4. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

7'6" V?? No. The sport duty 7'0"?? The BOSS select a plow shows the ext.cab with the 4.0 w/MANUAL transmission as able to hang it up front. If you are okay with being able to go outside Boss, then Snoway makes good plows for the Ranger, and maybe the Curtis home pro also.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

6.5 or 7 footer at most.

6. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

Thanks everybody...

I'm always looking for angles and options. Right now its just me and one truck and I'm currently doing only resi's. After two years I'm getting itchy that I need a backup and/or ready to expand my business a little bit. A smaller truck for the drives is what I'm looking at and maybe using my 3/4 to try to get into some small commercial work. Thanks all.

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

my brother has a 6.5 on his ranger. it sux!!!! it doesnt have the weight for any kind of snow! not even fluffy snow. he has to get a running start to plow anything with that. i think id prefer a four wheeler over that thing!!!.

8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

...has he tried ballast?? The local school district has 2 reg. cab 4wd rangers with unimount 6'5"s on them, no problems at all.

9. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

has a small hitch spreader in back, and around 3-450lbs of bag salt in back. he has the extended cab not sure if that matters. most of our white stuff is heavy lake effect. im sure u experience the same. maybe im just used to the heavy 7000lbs 250 not putting up much of a fuss.