1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic looking for plow+info

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by WhitePlowr, Jan 30, 2011.

1. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

hello everybody its late and need to get to bed. gonna be a busy day tomorrow I'm picking up this 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4 with 138k sunday morning. questions questions questions. I'll be mostly using this for personal driveways and small lots.Meyers makes the new drive pro but do the problems still exsist with inferior quality and durability over the western parts....fisher,snoway, and western make nothing new from my research. snow doggs website says they dont but a dealer says they do? not sure there.also a dealer says they have a one year old 6'8" Blizzard LT for $3,000. lost there also. Possibly this one or it can be between the new meyers drive pro 6'8" around 4k and the used older but still good western unimount 6"6" I hear there are two western unimount 6'6" plows. A lighter duty one with a smaller blade and then the full size one. not sure of the specs.I've been calling around to piece together a western set up. one place has everything but truck mount for $2,250 used. the other place has the complete set up for $2,400 used used but its a 7'6" set up and would need to cut it down. At this point in the season by the time i piece it all together it could be close to $3,000 after im done runnig back and forth. is it worth it? also suspension issues? or other issues? advice, reminders, suggestions stories give me everything you got. thanks Next storm is on the way for tuesday/wed up here. gonna be a blitz monday and tuesday putting this together if i go for it :)I live in north nj if you have a a western unimount 6'6" set up for sale or pieces in ny,pa or nj let me know. ussmileyflag

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

3. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

thats funny didnt know you were on here but was watching your youtube videos. loved the pine tree ones lol. I know the price is high I havent tried to negotiate yet. The jeep im getting I think for a good price $2k. Its a family friends vehicle that was for their daugther and had it since it had 9k miles on it. They just put $2k into with a new water pump ,thermostat, hoses,etc then a new alernator and surp belt and brakes. Its stone white like yours. body is in good shape but rust some small "patches are bubbling up" in several areas. the engine area was alittle rusty and corroded especially on top of the fuel rail lol. im just gonna power washer this mother down. haha I haven't see the underneath yet and its been a costal vehicle. I'm afriad of rust and corrosion.if its not to bad im gonna pick it up im leaving in about an hour

4. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I would get at least a 7 foot wide blade. When fully tilted, my 7 1/2 foot blade is almost even with the sides of my XJ. Anything shorter and you will be driving over your windrows.

Suggestions:

Add ballast--I use an 18 gallon rubbermaid container with sand/salt. I also have two 5-gallon pails: one full of sand the other with salt. All placed behind the rear seat.

The rear springs in Cherokees are known to sag (and bottom out with all that ballast). I added air shocks to compensate for the extra weight in the winter. I let out air for the summer.

The front end may sag due to plow weight. I added air bags in the coil springs to help out.

Good snow tires are always a good thing: Check out Firestone Winterforce tires. They can be studded and are inexpensive.

If you don't have a locker carry a shovel. You will get stuck!!

Fran

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

i want something alittle newer so i can switch to a wrangler or something in the future.... maybe. people say the 6'6" is too short when angled for the cherokee. a 6'8" isnt gonna do much better. the only next set up is a 7'6" i think but to heavy. everyone puts 6'6" on so i guess its fine.....

6. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree to go with at least a 7 footer. My wrangler has a 7' and cant imagine not having the extra 3 inches on each side. At full angle it just barely covers my front tires. It wouldnt plow as well if i was hitting the windrows. If your getting your rig with the 4.0, I dont see any issue with it being able to handle a 7'6 blade as long as you compensated with the above said air shocks/timbrens. That'll level the rig right out and in 4 wheel drive, you wont stop it unless you lose traction.

7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Is that user name serious?

I have a Cherokee with a 7'2" Western LSX with wings and it's fine.

8. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

As i have said before, my 99 cherokee sport is the best driveway rig i have ever plowed with. I have a Meyer tm 6.5 on it and i have yet to even get stuck even with the insane amounts of snow we have had. I have four studded snow tires (huge inprovement) and i put about 400 pounds of wieght in the back. I have air bags in the front. I have been plowing 40 to 50 drives for the last 6 years and i cant believe how well this pushes snow, in fact i sold my 2500 hd so after i started using the jeep. i also have a 95 wrangler that is my back up plow rig and i like the way the Cherokee plows better.

9. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

thanks everyone keep it coming . Affekonig my username is something huh. :) i guess it can be meant two different ways. but lets stick with white=snow because snow is white and im a powerplower (shortened to "plowr" because i could not fit anymore letters) of "white" snow. it puts a smile on everyones face .

10. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

they make a mount for the cherokees with the lsx model and how old is that? looks like an ultramount . did you customize the bracket or something?

11. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

I'm also thinking about getting the goodyear duratracs 235/75r15 or dunlop rover m/t traction tires. i haven't done any lift yet and if i do a 2 or 3 " lift should i get bigger tires??? not sure so many ideas i got going on. just got and the damn thing and get even get it reg and plated the dmvs are closed today. that LSX i see is a unimount also i think but they look hard to find hmmmm

12. mehblah

mehblah Junior Member
    from NJ

basically in the same boat you are, i have a 00 cherokee with a 3inch lift gonna try and get a 6.6 Myers on on the next few days.... air bags are not gonna be an option at first i was hoping the lifted coils would hold.

I live in north NJ could use some advice and lights for the plow. also if anyone knows somebody selling something better that will install it....

13. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

i just saw a newer cherokee xj at a gas station and it had the heavy duty std 6'6" western on it . i asked the guy and he said that he didnt do anything to the suspension.... i haven't gotten that far yet

14. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Taller springs in the front would work but you'll have issues during the months that the plow is off with the front being sky high compared to the back, hence the reason for the air shocks that can be adjusted to prevent this.

I'm not saying its mandatory to do anything to the rig to get going, but the suggestions above will allow for better more comfortable plowing and less wear and tear on the suspension components of the vehicle.

15. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

I've found a western unimount set up for my 99 jeep cherokee. its $2,400 plus tax so about $2,550.00 and this is what i get.. 1 brand new truck side mount for the jeep, 1 brand new wiring harness, 1 brand new handheld control and a used plowside solid but not sure of the over all condition. I'm would also be missing the bolts and hardware to mount the mount to the jeep. The other downside part is its a 7'6 standard with 2 springs.I'd have to cut that down lol or put my front end on steriods..... sounds like this would be a decent deal if it was an actual 6'6" then i would just need the bolt kit ..... my friend in town says we have a mutual friend that has a meyers set up for my jeep exactly im looking into it. thoughts on the western setup and price

16. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Stay away from MT tires. Get snow tires. They're made to drive (plow) in the snow.

Fran

17. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

the goodyear duratracs seem to be an all around tire . snow tires dont look like they will do much what is so special about them? they look smooth and slick

18. Capodosto

Capodosto Member

Smoother can be a good thing.

A good snow tire with ice siping and a soft compound might be the best solution. A real aggressive off road mud tire might not spin when you get pushed up against a snow pile and instead of the energy being shed by a spinning wheel, you might break something. The ability for a tire to break traction when the vehicle encounters an immovable object (like a mountain of packed snow) is a "safety valve" for the power train. This rule doesn't apply to off-roading because unless you are a total idiot, you would never intentionally try to move the vehicle when it is totally blocked by a tree or something. In the off roading scenario, you can count on your horsepower to eventually get you moving, and the most weight you will ever try to pull is the weight of your vehicle. When plowing, it is quite normal to push against a snow pile and only stop pushing when your tires spin.

19. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Here's a link to pics of my XJ: http://www.flickr.com/photos/papa-bear/sets/72157625968849764/

The LSX is a Unimount and there are still mounts to be found, but it'll take some looking. I've been using the Unimount setup on 20-30 trucks for 10+ years and have had very good luck with them. The Jeep pushes amazingly well (look at the pics) and is setup with:

Western Unimount LSX 7'2" plow (usually has wings which put it over 8')
    Air shocks in front
    Tranny cooler
    Firestone Winterforce tires
    About 350lbs at the tailgate

I've had a lotta trucks and I love plowing with this thing. It holds the plow really well and goes like a little tank. Snow tires make a world of difference and I wish I'd always used them.

20. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

nice videos. haven't see the lsxs around. what trans cool did you use and how did you hook it up since the lines are going into the rad already? what kinda air shock system is it? thanks