1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 gmc sierra 2500 bad vibration!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by clc2007, Nov 21, 2011.

1. clc2007

clc2007 Member

It only does it once in a while but becoming more cmmon. Someimes when the truck shifts into another forward gear i get a realyx bad vibration that feels lke it is coming from the rear end, the vibration feels like your going overrumble strips with the rearend! But only lasts about a second or two and clears right up, no loss of power or trans slipage while it happens, ihave flushhed the trans and replaed the filter, changed all rear u joints it has new wheels and tires! Not sture where to go from here so im thinking spider gears orbad ring and pinion? But that makes no sence why it would be those as it only happens while shifting and on acceleration any

2. clc2007

clc2007 Member

Any help would be great.

3. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

clc2007,
    Do you have a one or two piece driveshaft in the rear?

4. clc2007

clc2007 Member

It is a one piece.

5. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

It is not ring and pinion those would howl especially if they were that bad. I managed a driveline shop for a few years, been there done that. If you replaced the u-joints, and there is no center support bearing (i.e. two piece shaft) Then it maybe be your trans... I have seen that more then once where the trans will cause a short vibration under load. Let me ask a few more questions.

I assume it has a 4L80e
    How many miles on the truck, engine, trans.
    Is it 4x4
    Have you ever flushed the trans before this started
    Does the truck have a limited slip rear differential.
    have you noticed if it does it predominatly while going straight or turning
    Also, since you say it does it while shifting gear I assume it does it when the truck is in motion. Has it done if from a stop?

6. clc2007

clc2007 Member

Yes it is a 4l80 e, truck has 120,000 on engine and trans, trans has ben flushed evry 25000 miles, i has limited slip. It seems to be worse after turning or going arround a curve, it hasnt done it from a dead stop, only after turning a corner or going arround a curve. Im really lost on this one.

7. clc2007

clc2007 Member

And yes it is a 4x4

8. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

Ok, I believe what you are feeling is a "slip and grab" vibration not an "out of balance" vibration. I drive shaft with bad u-joints or a bad center support will cause a drive line vibration however you have replace both u-joints on the rear shaft. If it were the shaft it's self it would be constant so we can rule that out. In the rear dif you have the ring and pinion, the spider gears, the clutch disks for the posi, and the axles. So, lets do this through deductive reasoning since you are two states away and I can't look at the truck:
    the drive shaft is connect to the pinion yoke which is splined, if there was a slip there it would instantly cause a total failure. The pinion shaft is set in the housing with two tapered bearings and races. If those bearing were worn it would cause the pinion gear and ring gear to mesh wrong and would surely howl, if the bearings were bad enough to cause an occasional vibration your rear end would be constantly yelling you you. The pinion rotates the ring gear with teeth, if they were to slip it would instantly cause complete failure. The ring gear is bolted to the carrier, inside the carrier are the spider gears and clutches. The spider gears could be worn, chip, or broken however if that was the case it would not occasionally vibrate it would grind, clunk, or the truck wouldn't move and it would be constant. The clutches could slip and cause a chatter and vibration, however that would only happen at the time one rear tire was going a different speed then the other rear tire and it might not do it all the time. It would not do anything while going in a straight line unless a tire lost traction.(unless it is a locker or AAM's newer helical design posi) (both of your rear tires are the same size from the same manufacturer with the same air pressure right?) The axles go into the spiders gears and that is splined, again a slip there would be fatal. An axle bearing could be bad however that would cause a noise which would be almost constant and increase and lessen while you swayed side to side.
    Sorry about my thinking out loud, just cover the bases. At that mileage I would highly recommend a dif service anyway, Not an oil change place special but a trans or driveline shop where they will take the cover of, clean everything and inspect it. A good driveline tech will be able to tell at that point if there is cause for concern in the dif, like to much backlash. I think that would be good maintenance but you won't find your problem there. I would say there is about an 18% chance it is your clutches in the rear dif. Take to cover off, clean it out, refill, and add a quality friction modifier from Ford. I know, it's a GM but Ford friction mod. is the best out there IMO. See if that solves your problem. There is a 77% chance is is your trans slipping and chattering a little bit. That action in the trans will carry all the way to the rear of the truck which is where it would feel like a vibration in the rear end when it happens. There is also a 5% chance that your transfer case chain is stretched so much it is causing havoc, and has enough slack that going from no load to high load (i.e. shifting gears) it will "bounce" which would also be felt in the rear as that is where the power is being applied.
    I would sure like to know the outcome of your truck. I have had many 90's GM trucks and still have 2 k3500's. Love those trucks.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I rode in a truck with a guy who had the same problem. I'll call him tomorrow to see if he ever figured out the issue.

I was just as you described, felt like the rear-end and it would almost bounce or vibrate for maybe a 1/4 of a second each time it did it.

10. clc2007

clc2007 Member

Ya all 4 tires are the same, i really appreciate all you help as i am clueless as to what this thing has going on. I will get the rear diff done first thing in the morning, from there ill probably go to the trans shop and see what they can figure out. I agree with the trans probably being the issue as it is the only logical answer. But it is odd how it only will do it once in a while and other than that it is as solid as a rock, shifts great no slip lots of power. I hope its something simple and dont require a total rebuild, but it does have 120k on it.

11. clc2007

clc2007 Member

That would be great! Dont wanna pay these top dollar shops if i dont have to lol.

12. clc2007

clc2007 Member

Updade, had the rear end looked at today and it is in great shape. So that is not the problem.

13. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

Is the condition something you can replicate in anyway, or is it always "out of the blue."

14. clc2007

clc2007 Member

It is allways out of the blue, i drove it 20 miles today. And it did it 3 times. While going down the road i would let off the gas and lightly tap the brake pedal to take it out of lock up and re apply the thorotle and still couldent get it to do it, the owner of the shop drove it for about 15 min and said he thinks im crazy that it drives great and that there is nothing wrong with my truck, go figure take it to a mechanic and it wont do it for him. Ive done evrything i can think of to get it to act up on demand and no luck.

15. clc2007

clc2007 Member

He serviced the rear end and ran the computer on it checking the trans and all checks out good.

16. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

just throwing it out there but possibly a broken leaf spring or two ? maybe your axle is twisting/ rotating to much on acceleration and is causing a bad ujoint angle for a few seonds . ive seen a few broken leafs in those trucks. not sure just a guess and something to look at .

17. clc2007

clc2007 Member

That does make sence i will take a peak at them, thanks for the idea

18. clc2007

clc2007 Member

Ok so i looked at the leaf springs top bottom and sides no cracks or sign of weakness, the u bolts and shackels all look good as well.

19. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

it sounds like a bad limited slip. I would almost bet. You say it only does it after going around a turn? The clutches in a limited slip will start to slip when they wear out and cause the exact symptoms you are describing.

20. clc2007

clc2007 Member

Ok so i took it to a dealer today they drove it and found a bad left rear caliper, and that the emergency brakes were draging verry bad, so it got a new caliper and all new rear brakes, they tor into the rear end and said the clutches and all gears are in good condition. They think the vibration has something to do with the torque convertor.does this ake any sence?