1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 GMC K3500 6.5L DSL info needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bison1973, Oct 14, 2006.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

Hi, I'm looking at a '99 K3500 reg.cab 6.5L Desiel single rear wheel with 123,000 miles on it. It has just had the injector pump replaced. Anyone with thoughts, tips, suggestions, or things to look out for with this truck? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. My bro had a '94 6.5 turbo diesel in a 3/4 suburban. Only thing good I can say was decent power and fuel economy (16mpg hyway) for a large vehicle. Downside was expense in maintenance and repairs. Ultimately, he pretty much walked away from it when it needed head gaskets or something...was gonna be about $4000 or something. He also always had a "chugging" issue upon hard acceleration that nowone could figure out over the years.
    A friend had one in a dually....he had some sort of catastrophic failure and had to replace the engine. The cost of a replacement was like 3x the cost of a gasoline engine. Fixed it and took a major loss on it.
    In my opinion....stay away unless you can afford the potential costs. I stick with gasoline bigblocks...the gasoline cost and poor mpg far outway any potential repair issues with diesel (esspecially the 6.5!).
    FYI: I passed on Duramax for the 8.1L simply after hearing what simple things like water pump or something costs with the diesel. It takes like 85K miles to break even simply considering mpg....not repairs.
    Good luck.
  3. snowcan

snowcan Member

I have worked on plenty of 6.5 turbo diesels, they are by far the least reliable compared to the cummins or ford. The injection pumps croak prematurely on most of them and they are a nightmare of electronic fuel injection problems, man I could write a book, if you can't fix this truck yourself...don't do it.