1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Gmc 2500 engine 5.7

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevy$men, Feb 14, 2011.

1. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

The truck runs really well and i just put new oil and filter in 2 days ago today got off the freeway and start hearing a noise the engine was knocking i pulled over at the gas station and turned the engine and looked no leaks and checkd the oil and its full wtf i called the tow truck and had it dropped off no call yet but what do you guys think i think the motor gone becuz oil pump or flywheel i dont know but the engine run really good....:help::help:

2. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

geeidontknow itcouldbeacollapsedlifterormaybeabrokenvalveormaybeabadoilpumpbutwhateveritisitisgonnacost alotofmoneyandwillbeverypainfulto thepocketbookmaybenexttimeyoushouldhave aprofessionalchangetheoilandmaybeyouwonthavetheseproblemswiththetruckidontthink theflywheelhasanythingtodowithit

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Heeheehee

:laughing:

4. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

come on have a professional change the oil thats ******** ....who dont know how to change been doin this to long to have someone tell me that bs ... so go take a walk on the wild side:gunsfiring::gunsfiring::laughing:

5. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Pick up tube

Had 2 of them do it 2 me this year? What brand oil filter did u install? I found the pick up tubes laying in the bottom of the oil pan. Ordered a new engine and tack welded that ***** in no problems since4. Good luck.

6. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

im not sure but something toughguard i dont remember:dizzy:

7. Holland

Holland Senior Member

FRAM FILTER?! Theres your problem! Dont buy your oil filter from the same place you buy your underwear! Fram is overpriced and underbuilt. They use a oil paper end cap and try to seal a bypass valve to that. A bad filter is a good way to ruin an engine! But, I know you'll say you've used them for years and never had a problem, happens all the time. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  8. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

What brands are good and why?bypass, materials

9. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like you spun a barring did you lose oil presser

10. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

yes i lost a little on the freeway it used to be 60pound now its 40pound and at the light it was reading 20 pound

11. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

no that was my first time using that filter my guy recommend that but i use to use stp filters

12. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Do you have antifreeze in the oil? Very common problem on the vortec 350's for the intake manifold gasket to go bad.

13. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

no i just checked

14. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Have you ran it cold since it started making noises? Also check your oil in the sun light to see if you notice any metal shavings.

Good luck

15. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The stp filters are junk too, look up bob the oil guy he has cut a zillion filters apart and compared them. Not saying your problem is oil filter related just throwing it out there. Have you cut the filter apart? A guy on another site roasted a Duramax because the filter collapsed just happened to be a Fram:nod:

16. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

filter

Wix, ACdelco, Bosch. Had the same problems ran a purolator done with those.Pull the pan let me know what you find.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

AC Delco are basically the same as STP. Bosch are also made by Champ Labs, along with STP, AC Delco, and most "House" brands - Valucraft, Pronto, Napa Pro-Select.

For good quality filters, Napa Gold/WIX, Mobil1/K&N, or Amsoil/Donaldson. You get what you pay for.

18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

LMFAO :laughing:

19. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

hows about helping the guy instead of making fun of his writing skills . If you dont know the answer dont post

20. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the mileage on the truck?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011