1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Precision Lawn, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

I have a 1999 ford diesel truck. The off button on the over drive is blinking can and one tell me what this could be

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I don't know why it is blinking. It may be not reading the button. I have had to replace 2 of them on my 99 Super Duty and the new one quit working to. My light will not come on. They are two small wires and they can only run one way and from all the shifting it breaks them. Piss poor design from FORD. Steve

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The overdrive button is designed to blink anytime the ECM detect's a problem with the transmission.You can either take it to the dealer or a local tranny shop (much better option in my opinion) and have it scanned for code's. Most of the generic "part store" type scanner's wont read transmission trouble code's.

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

That light is the countdown to the trans explosion..lol.. reall it means that there is something wrong with the trans..

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

LOL! Yea I thing on the 100th blink it explode's! :D Or maybe it's the 50th!

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Take it to a good tranny shop and have them scan it. Beware of the places that want you to pay a fee up front and then take it off the repair price. They are trying to lock you into using them to repair it or rebuild it.

7. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

First check the wire where it plugs into the tranny the terminals get carotted.if the tact goes screwy it the wheel sensor in the rear differential . check the small things first.

8. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

the blinking means overheating

9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The blinking OD light can mean either over heating or a trans trouble code. If it is over heating the light will stop when it cools down. It is true the parts store code readers can't read trans codes. Since you said the truck is a 99 you have a 4r100 trans. This is not a cheap trans to rebuild, plan on $3500+ including tq. converter. Anything less than $3000 is nothing more than a soft parts rebuild, and will not last. Trust me on this I had 5 of those cheap rebuilds. I have gone through quite a few Ford diesel transmissions due to hard use and some abuse,,,, 6 of them IIRC. Every trans shop will tell you they can rebuild that trans, and that they offer a heavy duty version. IMO there are precious few in the USA that can really build a good 4r100 trans to stand up the true heavy duty abuse. I do know of other builders but I can only recommend these few. I do happen to have a BTS. In no particular order they are as follows.

http://www.brianstruckshop.com/
    http://www.suncoastconverters.com/
    John Wood automotive in Holtville, CA.

10. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Now thats funny right there unless it's your light thats blinking. :realmad:

I had this happen twice on my 97 in the past both times had to have a new trans installed. Sorry I know the feeling it sucks.

I took the cheap route the first time went to a local transmission shop and a year later I was in the same boat. Take it to Ford get one form them, it comes with the 3 year 36K mile warranty. It's about a grand more but well worth it in my opinion.

11. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

My 97 does it also but only during the summer when it is hot out and never non stop. It has been in 2 different shops more times then you can count each time they can not repeat the conditions. The general feeling is that there is a electrical problem they cant find. The biggest problem I have is it leaves no codes.

12. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

lights blinking

I was giving two codes out due to overheating heating but with the code reader on it the temp was 167 degree
    Will find more out on friday when I take it in

Frank