1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Ford - Tansfer Case Won't Engage

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bskiball, Jan 8, 2011.

1. bskiball

bskiball Member

1999 Ford 350 7.3 Powerstroke
    So I was plowing today and 4x4 was working great. Turned if off (Control Knob Style, Not Manuel) between jobs and now can not get the transfer case to engage (No 4x4 Light). Anyone know what I should look at first.

2. soundnstyl

soundnstyl Member

Shift motor? Vac hose?

3. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Junior Member
    from midwest

and the fuse

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The Electronic Shift On the Fly (ESOF) motor is prone to failure. Check fuses first, but then try tapping lightly on the motor with a mallet. (It's on the back of the Transfer Case.) This technique sometimes wakes one back up. If it does, it's usually only temporary though.

5. bskiball

bskiball Member

I finally had a chnace to work on it the other day. It was the shifter mechanism on the transfer case. Electric motor runs but did not turn the shifter. New one is ordered but finished a few jobs with vise grips on shifter so I could manually shift into 4x4. Not fun to crawl under truck but it works. Thanks for the help.

6. Hippie

Hippie Junior Member

Pull the shift motor (3 10MM bolts) and manually shift it to 4x4 then manually shift the motor and put it back together leaving the 2 electircal connnectors unplugged. Then just turn your hubs in or out to switch between 4x4 and 2x4 until you get the new motor in