1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 ford f250 superduty - avoid or o.k.--help !!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ernest, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ernest

ernest Member

Please your thoughts - I'm looking at a 99 f250 superduty very clean 90k mi. never plowed
    but I would put one on. Its the 5.4 v8. i read on this site about replacing oil pan is a cost of over 2k ?? What plow would you use on this truck ?Please your opinion of this vehicle.
    Thanks alot - I love this site !! its so helpful
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The V-8 will work ok but may be underpowered. I have the V-10 and love it. I would recommend a V-Plow of at least 8 1/2'. A straight blade will work but make sure you go at least 8'. You don't need to do anything to the truck but make sure it has been maintained well.
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The $2k oil pan job is for the 7.3 Diesel. AS you have to removed the engine to change it.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Welcome to plow site,
    feel free to look around.
    That truck will work just fine for a plow truck. The 5.4 engine does fine for plow trucks. The guys I know with them have no complaints about power. Just make sure you have the biggest battery you can fit in the tray and at least a 100 amp alternator.
    ( it should have a 130 amp OEM from the factory I do believe ).
    This is to keep the charging problems under control. Go with a 7.5 or 8 foot plow.
    Use the search function above on the gray line for past postings on plow choices.
  5. gssuperduty

gssuperduty Junior Member

Check the exhaust manifold bolts for corrosion, this was a big problem with this year motor.:drinkup:

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

need at least a 5200 lb front gross axel weight rating. and you better keep a eye on the rear springs ,they like to break ,big time
  7. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

I own a 99 and have had it for 4 years and it runs great! It has 93,000 on it and like was said alreay the exhaust manifold bolts are an issue...had them replaced by the dealer. I agree that the 5.4 is under powered for the truck and I run an 8 1/2 ft fisher but can't complain. Also the axel joints can be an isse also!!!

Good Luck...Good Choice!!!